More After Work Finds!

Kehbe

First stop at another new location and it shows real promise! I wish I would have had more than half an hour! An assortment of Pennsylvanian fossils from what I believe to be the Winterset oolitic limestone of Kansas City, Missouri, Jackson county. Not 100% certain on ID's except to say I think they are what the pics are named, any input is welcomed and much appreciated! ;) It was the wierdest thing, the horn corals were all in a very localized area of about 10 feet at the bottom of the wall in the debris. None to either side nor up and down the outcropping for 20 yards in any direction and couldn't find any in the wall above me as far as I could see up it! It will never cease to amaze me how I find groupings here and there. What was different about that particular spot that concentrated them there? Anyways, here we are....

ceph 003

ceph 001

horn 004 (1)

horn 004 (4)

horn 001

bivalve 008

bivalve 010

bivalve 001

tooth 002 (5)

tooth 002 (4)

tooth 002 (1)

Thanks for taking a look! :)

Edited by Kehbe

It is not the strongest of the species that survives, nor the most intelligent that survives. It is the one that is the most adaptable to change.

Charles Darwin

Must be nice to be able to go for a quick hunt after work, closest anything to me is a 90 minute drive with no traffic and that would certainly not be at rush hour. But then again being semi retired I can usually up and go if I get the urge....

Nice pictures.... stilll working on my less than adequate photography skills.

Not being a shark or tooth person (never having found one) what makes you think that last specimen in a tooth. I would have thought it was a piece of coral of some type if I had found it. Is it because teeth are common in this area. What kind of tooth are you thinking that it is

I guess the horn coral were having a party... like size and like shaped tend to cluster together in a situation where there a moving current. Some event could have ripped them all of the bottom and swept them basically sorting by size shape and weight, they would then cluster into any depressions that they encountered. The Eurypterid parts I have been finding lately tend to be clustered. Lsst week I found no heads to speak of but the week before that was all I was finding, disarticulated heads all about the same size 2 inches across.

Darn good finds for a half an hour.

Must be nice to be able to go for a quick hunt after work

Not being a shark or tooth person (never having found one) what makes you think that last specimen in a tooth. I would have thought it was a piece of coral of some type if I had found it. Is it because teeth are common in this area. What kind of tooth are you thinking that it is

Problem with being able to hunt during my lunch hour and a quick stop after work and before you know it i got fossils piling up everywhere! :blink:

Teeth are not overly abundant in the Kansas City area, in fact for me, they are few and far between but they are there. I think it is a tooth mainly because it has similar texture, color, look and feel as the only other tooth I have ever found. I can't recall what the pores are called but there is a name for them. Missourian told me once but like Bullsnake said in another post, "I wish I was a better student!" I think they are a distinct feature of this type of tooth though. You can see it clearly also on this sandalodus tooth in this thread. http://www.thefossil...ttach_id=140607 I am hoping Missourian will have a look and confirm my ID ;) I found it within a mile or so of the one in the other post.

Edited by Kehbe

It is not the strongest of the species that survives, nor the most intelligent that survives. It is the one that is the most adaptable to change.

Charles Darwin

Definately looks like the same texture as the link you posted in your last post.

Teeth are not overly abundant in the Kansas City area, in fact for me, they are few and far between but they are there. I think it is a tooth mainly because it has similar texture, color, look and feel as the only other tooth I have ever found. I can't recall what the pores are called but there is a name for them. Missourian told me once but like Bullsnake said in another post, "I wish I was a better student!" I think they are a distinct feature of this type of tooth though. You can see it clearly also on this sandalodus tooth in this thread. http://www.thefossil...ttach_id=140607 I am hoping Missourian will have a look and confirm my ID ;) I found it within a mile or so of the one in the other post.

Yes, it definitely is a crusher tooth, though I'm not sure of the genus. Regarding the little pores, I don't know what they're called. I just call them 'polka dots'. :)

Context is critical.

Nice haul for an after work hunt! Looks like the horn corals are of abundance in that area. Congrat's on finding that cool looking tooth!

Finding my way through life; one fossil at a time.

Very cool finds. Sounds like you're in the same boat as me, hunting for fossils on your lunch and a couple minutes after work. Have to use the time wherever we can find it.

My kind of Happy Hour!

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!