Sign in to follow this  
pleecan

Experiments With A Full Spectrum Digital Camera: Ir-Vis-Uv

pleecan

Tonight I converted a Sigma SD10 Foveon digital camera to Full spectrum camera by removing the Hot Mirror which reflected UV and IR light from reaching the Foveon sensor. I then added a cross polarizer in front of the 50mm F2.8 Sigma EX Macro Lens to generate the following images.... see link: Interesting results. Camera is now capable of imaging IR-Visisble-UV spectrum.

http://oldasthehills.proboards.com/index.cgi?action=display&board=Info&thread=311

piranha

Nice images Peter :pic: can you explain the benefits for those with limited exposure on this topic? :P

Fossildude19

Beautiful images, Peter!

I would like to hear more about this, if you could dumb it down for me... :unsure:

Regards,

pleecan

Thanks guys... the logic goes like this...

The belief that electronic eyes can see the invisible part of the spectrum that is often truncated in normal cameras... the human eye is unable to detect this but electronic sensors can.... I decided to image in the Infrared to UV part of the spectrum be it represented by false colour but it extends the preceptions of reality..... just experimenting.... The Foveon receptor is like no other camera sensor design as it combines 3 primary colours into one chip and represents a quantum jump in optical resolution..... you can google Foveon.

Edited by pleecan

Malcolmt

You are the optics guy!!!! Love the pictures, not a bad bug either.....

pleecan

Thanks Malcolm!

paganboy

Just a littlesidetrack, but camera should be now reaaly hot for doing ghost hunting in the ir area

Really cool

pleecan

Just a littlesidetrack, but camera should be now reaaly hot for doing ghost hunting in the ir area

Really cool

Guess you are correct .... Paranormal ghost hunter can use full spectrum cameras.... spook cameras :) or night vision photography in IR....

Fossildude19

Thanks guys... the logic goes like this...

The belief that electronic eyes can see the invisible part of the spectrum that is often truncated in normal cameras... the human eye is unable to detect this but electronic sensors can.... I decided to image in the Infrared to UV part of the spectrum be it represented by false colour but it extends the preceptions of reality..... just experimenting.... The Foveon receptor is like no other camera sensor design as it combines 3 primary colours into one chip and represents a quantum jump in optical resolution..... you can google Foveon.

Thank you for the explanation, Peter. :)

I appreciate you using layman's terms for me.

Regards,

pleecan

You are welcome Tim!