Show Us Your Cordaites

Missourian

itwasntme... Very nice specimens... I've trimmed a couple of my carb plant finds down into circles as it happens :) but they are ideal drawer specimens... I think photo number 5 (the white blob) could possibly be a coprolite...

Cheers Steve... And Welcome if your a New Member... :)

Will any kind of pickle suffice? :)

:P

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

Hi my friends

How to interpret these strange structures on this Cordaites leaf , predation or decomposition ???

Best regards

Bruno

015_mo10.jpg

013_mo10.jpg

To me, they look like post-depositional, pre-fossilization deformation. Given the piles of debris that must have accumulated in these coal swamps, it is a wonder that we do not see more of this; perhaps it represents a more violent incident?

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

Are there small concretions in the rock? They could be distortion of the soft sediment around already-formed concretions during compaction.

Context is critical.

inconn10.jpg

quote : "They could be distortion of the soft sediment around already-formed concretions during compaction."

the red colour shows mineral siderore

like this one ,nodule or concretion under the leaf ????

Best regards

Bruno

Hi Roman

Cordaites trunk or ferns trunk !!!!!

difficult to say, but probably a basal part of the trunk, the furrows are rougher on your specimen, trunk fern or Cordaites???? , Old bark in any case, I think Cordaites are smoother .....

Best regards

Bruno

img_4817.jpg

On 10/26/2012 at 2:10 PM, docdutronc said:

quote : "They could be distortion of the soft sediment around already-formed concretions during compaction."

the red colour shows mineral siderore

like this one ,nodule or concretion under the leaf ???

Yes. I'm thinking something like this:

post-6808-0-17319100-1351465013_thumb.png

Context is critical.

Roman... Thats a great new find... well done...

I like Missourian's explanation as well... although I struggle with the uniformity aspect of the nodules... localised mineral levels would vary producing many different sizes of nodule.. (or) the nodules form around something of a regular size and so become a regular shape?

Cheers Steve... And Welcome if your a New Member... :)

Quote : "although I struggle with the uniformity aspect of the nodules."

The consistency of these nodules ,and its particularly uniformity that my eye was drawn to the field, it is for this reason that I collected this specimen, the combination of a Cordaites leaf and unknown form was very attractive, a single nodule I will not have it picked up .....

Best regards

Bruno

• 1 month later...

A close-up of the leaf bundle at the start of the thread:

post-6808-0-18445700-1356473280_thumb.jpg

Closer still:

post-6808-0-66881800-1356429443_thumb.jpg

Area of super close-up:

post-6808-0-44133900-1356429762_thumb.jpg

Context is critical.

Archived