Hunting For Crinoids In Crawfordsville?

Lmshoemaker

My birthday is coming up and I'm trying to get my mother to take me out fossil hunting for it. More than any other place I would like to hunt in Crawfordsville, but do I do not know any where to hunt. I heard some people just go to random houses and merely as for permission to check out the area. What should I do?

Happy Birthday Crypti :) Im sorry I can't help you much with the information you are looking for as I am not familiar with that area at all! I have found that asking property owners in a polite and friendly way, throwing out a bit of knowledge as to what kind of fossils you might be finding on their property, reassuring them and then following through by respectfully not trashing or damaging their property has worked well for me in the past. And don't take this wrong, I don't mean to sound like a bore but, I would certainly recommend your Mom tagging along when approaching people you don't know. Even I prefer to have someone else with me when dealing with strangers on "their" property! It's just safer that way! Anyways, have a Great Birthday and I hope you find the motherlode! :)

(edit) P.S. Maybe the CrinoidQueen will have a few suggestions for you :) Here is an interesting site that you may have already seen! http://www.fossilmuseum.net/Fossil_Sites/crinoidscrawfordsville/crawfordsvillecrinoidssite.htm Get you a local map of crawfordsville and find out where this Corey's Bluff and Indian Creek are and make sure and look up all the local regulations.

Edited by Kehbe

It is not the strongest of the species that survives, nor the most intelligent that survives. It is the one that is the most adaptable to change.

Charles Darwin

Many of the good areas in Crawfordsville I know about are now in private hands as mentioned. In fact several of best crinoid spots are in hands of collectors and dealer friends I know so you definitely need to know someone or have permission to collect. Crinoid queen may know of some sites not owned by dealer/collectors from Crawfordsville area however...

russ