Pennsylvanian Orbiculoidea Sp.?

Kehbe

I am reasonably sure this is an Orbiculoidea. I know this is not a spectacular fossil but if it is Orbiculoidea, it is the first I have found. I am thinking Orbiculoidea missouriensis but it lacks the finer growth lines that I see in some photos. I am looking for opinions on ID and wondering if anyone else can show any examples of Orbiculoidea they have found! :) Thanks :)

Brachoipod Orbiculoidea sp.

Pennsylvanian, Winterset limestone, Kansas City, Missouri, Jackson co.

pic1 post-7046-0-91693900-1336399320_thumb.jpg

pic2 post-7046-0-08149300-1336399330_thumb.jpg

pic3 post-7046-0-32134600-1336399338_thumb.jpg

It is not the strongest of the species that survives, nor the most intelligent that survives. It is the one that is the most adaptable to change.

Charles Darwin

looks to me like a really old rock that indians used to crush corn with, but i am defianlty wrong.

Does the rock have odd scaly or fibrous texture in any place? If so, it could be cone-in-cone like this piece:

post-6808-0-17088400-1335595882_thumb.jpg

Context is critical.

I agree with Squalicorax. Specimens are also way too big to be Orbiculoides. I have specimens from a number of locations in western Missouri and eastern Kansas and have never seen one larger than one quarter inch.

On second glance, the circular thing and the matrix around it do display some of the scaliness that is characteristic of cone-in-cone.

Context is critical.

On second glance, the circular thing and the matrix around it do display some of the scaliness that is characteristic of cone-in-cone.

I think that's right; cone-in-cone has caught me out a few times!

Tarquin

I had to look up 'cone-in-cone' and after reading what I could find, I still do not fully understand all I know about them. :blink: I do however think you guys are right about it not being Orbiculoidea. I have also done a little more research on that subject and concede to your assesment. :) Thats what I love about this place. I learn! Thanks! :) All that being said and on another subject, I would like to ask opinions on whether or not I should edit the title and tags of this thread? The reason I ask is that often, when Googleing for ID's, I run across TFF post's in the google results. I have even seen some of my own post's on Googles results. I assume this is because Google, and other search engines TFF is registered with, sees TFF's titles and tags and uses them for results. If someone is searching for "Orbiculoidea" and this page comes up in the results, it is not accurate information. Then again, someone trying to figure out if they themselves have found an "Orbiculoidea" might find this thread useful for comparison and confirmation of what is 'not' an "Orbiculoidea". I hope that makes sense, but I couldn't explain it quite right! ;) Opinions?

It is not the strongest of the species that survives, nor the most intelligent that survives. It is the one that is the most adaptable to change.

Charles Darwin

RE: Google search;

I think the discussion and resolution in this topic is useful and educational to anyone searching the subject (one needs learn to separate the doppelgangers, after all, and this is a good example). I will add a question mark to the title, as a cue to read the thread.

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

RE: Google search;

I think the discussion and resolution in this topic is useful and educational to anyone searching the subject (one needs learn to separate the doppelgangers, after all, and this is a good example). I will add a question mark to the title, as a cue to read the thread.

Charles Darwin

I think it is bryozoan covering an Orbiculoides. :D Really!

"Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence"_ Carl Sagen

No trees were killed in this posting......however, many innocent electrons were diverted from where they originally intended to go.

" I think, therefore I collect fossils." _ Me

"When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth."__S. Holmes

"can't we all just get along?" Jack Nicholson from Mars Attacks

Archived