Example Of Oolites In The Westerville Limestone?

Kehbe

A couple of small pieces that I collected recently in what I believe to be the Pennsylvanian, Westerville Limestone of the Kansas City Missouri area. There are not a lot of fossils in the particular area i found these in but the ones that are there have a nice white color and all these little 'oolitic pearls' and as always, comments and opinions are more than welcome! There are some small gastropods in this area as well and I think it definatly warrants another once over! Maybe on the way home from work today :) Here is a couple of pics! :) Thanks!

pic1 post-7046-0-96542800-1336752991_thumb.jpg pic2 post-7046-0-36584800-1336753006_thumb.jpg

pic3 post-7046-0-36226700-1336753020_thumb.jpg pic4 post-7046-0-07352700-1336753135_thumb.jpg

It is not the strongest of the species that survives, nor the most intelligent that survives. It is the one that is the most adaptable to change.

Charles Darwin

Them's good-looking fossils! The "oolites" seem kind of irregular, though; have you looked at them under magnification?

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

All I have right now is a set of 2.25X headgear binocular mags. It is quite possible I am incorrect about these being oolites hence the question mark in the title. I was comparing it to this information on wikipedia and the picture in this link http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oolite but after looking up ostracods, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ostracod I suppose they could be that instead. Do massive amounts of ostracods consolidate like the oolites and form limestone? I will have to get a better look at them this evening and maybe try and take some better photos. :) I will try to get a photo of the wall these came from. It is cross-bedded and interestingly looks like a 'sanddune' in cross section that has been 'washed' back and forth by wave action. Quote from the wikipedia article, ".The oolites are commonly found in large current bedding structures that resemble sanddunes. The size of the oolite reflects the time they have had exposed to the water before they were covered with later sediment." Missourian is somewhat familiar with the area these were found and may be able to offer up more insight! ;)

It is not the strongest of the species that survives, nor the most intelligent that survives. It is the one that is the most adaptable to change.

Charles Darwin

I'd call them ooids (or pisoids if over 2 mm).

They would be oncoids (Osagia) if the laminae are cyanobacterial in origin.

The irregular ones could be coated shell fragments.

Context is critical.

Clearly, in pic 2 a pisolith can be seen that has fractured(to the lower right of the bivavlve(?).

2012 NCAA Collegiate Round Ball Champs; and in '98, '96, '78, 58, '51, '49, and '48, too.

Archived