I Found A Triceratops!

chele

Congrats! :envy:

How do you decide how much to charge for your triceratops?

I do not know what it will be worth. Also the owners already have a person that will sell it. I was told that the big nose section once prepped is worth atleast $15,000 and possibly up to $30,000. The big brow horn could fetch $13,000 or more. I have no clue what the big frill sections and other big bones are worth. Also the pubis bone and the toe bones I found I have not one idea. I would love to keep all of this stuff. The nose and the horns would be so awesome on display in my fossil room but there is no way I would be able to pay the owners the 30 percent if I decided to keep all the stuff. The cost of having a replica made of the nose section is about $1500. I am thinking of having one made so I can have it for display.

Chelebele

I thought I would show you the nasal horn now that it has been cleaned a little. I will have to wait til my micro blaster arrives to finish. I donot want to glue all the pieces back together until I have blasted every section. The nose section is made up of 6 large chunks and once the blasting is done I will glue everything back together. I also attached a photo of one of the upper jawbones. It is not cleaned very well. The white you see is the glue I used to hold everything together. The glue turns white when the fossil still has moisture in it. Once dried and blasted I will reglue and the natural color will be seen. Blaine held the nasal horn so everyone could see the size of it. Sometimes it is hard to really guage the size even when a ruler is shown. The nasal horn is very heavy and that is why Blaine is holding it! :P

post-5476-0-85477400-1339728211_thumb.jpg

post-5476-0-85025700-1339728256_thumb.jpg

post-5476-0-88869300-1339728348_thumb.jpg

post-5476-0-66120000-1339728403_thumb.jpg

Chelebele

well you don;t hear of a find like this everyday. more photos please!!!

Today's the day!

Mel Fisher

Thank you so much for taking the time to share and post these incredible pictures. I'm in awe. I can't even imagine how you are feeling uncovering this majestic dino and seeing him or her come together. Btw... do u know the gender? Or have u given it a name yet? :)

Thank you so much for taking the time to share and post these incredible pictures. I'm in awe. I can't even imagine how you are feeling uncovering this majestic dino and seeing him or her come together. Btw... do u know the gender? Or have u given it a name yet? :)

The feeling can not be described! I am in awe at the size of this dino. You see pictures in books and online and you think that they are pretty big. But when you see the bones in person you are awestruck. We do not know the gender but Blaine calls it Fred. (that was not the name he called it when he had to move the big plastered sections from the big cliff to his pickup)! ;)

Chelebele

I loved the triceratops as a kid and it's still one of my favorites, congratulations on the amazing find. it's a shame that money rules the world otherwise you could keep it.

Congratulations for this find from Spain.

Here is imposible to find fossils like yours, it is forbidden.

Greetings.

banner7.gif

Chele, not much to add about the Dino that has not been said. Very cool find and I love the title “I found a Triceratops” when I peruse the forum, how often will you see that? One thing to add that has not been said, and this is for Blaine, Nice truck!

Finally I can upload photos! I have had been trying for a while to upload. Here is one of the brow horns. I cut the jacket and let it dry and carefully started to pick all the dirt off. As soon as my micro blaster arrives I will hit the horn first. I am very curious as to how it will look cleaned up! I will post some photos of during and after the sand blasting. Blaine's sister and his neice came over for the weekend. His neice wanted her photo taken with the horn so she could show her friends back home. She is quite the tomboy! We had taken her to a few spots and she found some dino bones. She was so excited!

post-5476-0-10725200-1340250161_thumb.jpg

Chelebele

That horn is huge, I can't wait to see the finished thing. One question, where are you going to keep it?

What I wouldn't give to find something like that, awesome find and can't wait to see more pictures. Hopefully some way, some how you will be able to keep it, but either way take lots and lots of pictures.

The feeling can not be described! I am in awe at the size of this dino. You see pictures in books and online and you think that they are pretty big. But when you see the bones in person you are awestruck. We do not know the gender but Blaine calls it Fred. (that was not the name he called it when he had to move the big plastered sections from the big cliff to his pickup)! ;)

I bet he had all sorts of names for "Fred" coming down that cliff! Lol. The process of just doing that alone is incredible to me by looking at the pictures and seeing how far up the cliff Fred was. (Kudos to Blaine!) How long is Fred? Is he the size of a big elephant or larger? It's hard to get the perspective of how huge he really is from the pictures, like u said. Can't wait to hear the updates after your new "toy" instrument arrives. Thanks for letting us live this experience 1st hand thru your eyes :)

Talk about being a spoiled brat

me want dinosaur and puff there you go you get one :envy:

More photo's please

Amazing to see what can be found overseas ....

I am traveling each month to San Antonio ... I should rather go hunting than spending hours on business meetings ...

• 2 weeks later...

Oh my ... horn!!! It seems to be bigger than the girl... :o

After so much training in weight lifting, the hero Blaine will be able to win a medal in the next Olympic games contest... :P

Who isn'n waiting for your new pics as your professional like steps are going on??????? :)

Astrinos P. Damianakis

• 5 weeks later...

Chele,

I'm a COMPLETE newbie to the Forum (1st post) and Paleo world in general, but your posted journey of the triceratops find is one of the best and most intriguing pieces I've ever read on any kind of web forum anywhere. GREAT pictures and details of your journey (so far!). Thanks so much for letting us all come along on your journey.

(I just realized that I'm one of the very few people with a non-fossilized avatar picture. Hmmm - I live in Calvert Co MD, but haven't found any photo worthy teeth yet. Gotta get busy and find some)

Joe

...(I just realized that I'm one of the very few people with a non-fossilized avatar picture. Hmmm - I live in Calvert Co MD, but haven't found any photo worthy teeth yet. Gotta get busy and find some)...

The Brookie will do for now ;)

Welcome aboard :)

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

Chele,

I'm a COMPLETE newbie to the Forum (1st post) and Paleo world in general, but your posted journey of the triceratops find is one of the best and most intriguing pieces I've ever read on any kind of web forum anywhere. GREAT pictures and details of your journey (so far!). Thanks so much for letting us all come along on your journey.

(I just realized that I'm one of the very few people with a non-fossilized avatar picture. Hmmm - I live in Calvert Co MD, but haven't found any photo worthy teeth yet. Gotta get busy and find some)

Joe

I love brook trout! Go trout fishing everytime I go to Oregon and those are my favorite to catch and eat. Welcome to the forum and yes, her find has us all in awe...

Fossils are simply one of the coolest things on earth--discovering them is just marvelous! Makes you all giddy inside!

Congratulations on a terrific find - sounds like you are managing everything beautifully including excavation, preservation and (potential) sale!

Chele, The picture of the horn and this evolving thread are just absolutely mind numbing....and to think I get a thrill when I find a simple plant fragment and get to ponder its existence. But an actual dinosaur...what a rush that must be, oh my! Cant wait to see more pictures. Congrats! Regards, Chris