Mazon Creek Hunt

Rob Russell

Hey Folks! Glad things are back up and running again. A few weeks ago I had the opportunity to hunt an old coal mine spoils pile for some mazon creek nodules. It was a two day hunt, and I gave it about 5 hrs each day. i collected just short of 1,000. I'd be greatful if anyone would be willing to share any insight as to what has worked best using the freeze/thaw method. Thanks for any suggestions. Here's a pic of the nodules. My buddy stopped by after work and snapped the shot from my garage roof. :D

post-2411-0-13721800-1338600892_thumb.jpg

Finding my way through life; one fossil at a time.

Wow!!! Looks like a lot of work ahead! Good luck and I hope you find some winners!

I would think out of that many you should hatch some really nice fossils!

I can't wait to see when they open. :)

Welcome to the forum!

This is from Richardson's guide.

That's a very handy guide, Carl..

Welcome to the forum!

Hoo wee! Even if one in ten yields a nice fossil, you're in tall cotton :)

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

Thanks everybody for your comments. :) And thank you, Carl, for the link to the Richardson's Guide. I had been told to freeze for a week, but I'm definitely liking the 2 day idea much better! And that big number "25." I wasn't sure what to expect as far as how many cycles it could possibly take. I figure I'll be freezing nodules for 3-4 years. :o Until I go collect more. :blink::P

Hey Tim. Actually, I found some that were already open, and coaxed a few into opening that were almost split. I also found some, what appear to be, cephalopod (?) parts. Some corals perhaps? Bottom line... nothing to exciting yet; however, I will take some pictures and post, because my purplish blob could be a rare one. :P

I had a chance to go to Mazon Creek when I was working at Braidwood station, I have a large number of nodules also. Im still freeze thawing them. I have found that the best way is to place the nodules in a large bucket and let it fill with rain water as it works a lot better than tap water. too much stuff in Tap water, let it sit in the water for two days, and then take out of the water and place in a shallow container with some water, just enough to cover the nodules, and freeze for two days, then let it thaw at room temp, tap the sides of it with another nodule after a couple cycles and they will pop right apart. Good luck Rob!

Archived