Fossil_Hunter

Bonanza Fossil Leaves

Fossil_Hunter

Is there anyone who could direct me to the Green River formation leaf site near Bonanza Uintah County Utah?

glacialerratic

Evacuation Creek

Also, Cowboy Canyon, but you're going to have to explore the 2-tracks down into the canyon, as I had no GPS and no landmarks and no street signs to give the area I was working.

Good luck, I had a blast hunting that area.

Fossil_Hunter

Do you know about how far from Evacuation Creek's confluence with the White River and far the site is away from Evacuation Creek?

glacialerratic

They are relatively close, no more than 1 hour apart. USGS has surface maps of the area. Evacuation Creek is in the Green River watershed.

Cowboy Canyon is huge, Evacuation Creek is easier to hunt, but there was sub-surface water moving through some of the beds, and they were soft clay.... some nice stuff in there, but it falls apart pretty easily.

Will you being going through Grand Junction/Douglas Pass? Douglass pass looks like a great place to hunt. It was snowing too much when I went through.

Edited by michigantim

Fossil_Hunter

I've seen the USGS topo maps and Evacuation creek seems to be pretty long. I think that there are some fairly well known/ well collected sites in the area and I was trying to find my way to one of those. I will be going through Grand Junction, so I will pass Douglas pass. I know where this location is (but I've never been), but I was under the impression that the sites in Utah were better.

glacialerratic

I think Douglas Pass is worth the stop, even though I've not been there, a friend has, and really like hunting there.

There is a state highway that cuts through the top of Evacuation Creek, that is where to hunt. I walked down Evacuation Creek, and there was GR Shale, but it had been washed down and was loose.

The highway was closed just beyond Evacuation Creek in '07. At that closed sign, there is an outcropping of sandstone that also contained plant fossils. Not sure of the formation.

Edited by michigantim

billd45

I've been to Douglas Pass a couple times and was never dissapointed. There are some nice specimens up there, but it does require a little work to find them.