Unknown Echinoid - Texas - Glen Rose Formation

Bill Thompson

Found this in the Lower Cretaceous - Glen Rose Formation

Great echinoid.

Any help identifing would be appreciated.

Bill Thompson

Seguin, TX

post-2501-0-95592300-1339017760_thumb.jpg

post-2501-0-51257400-1339017772_thumb.jpg

post-2501-0-29988000-1339017786_thumb.jpg

post-2501-0-71252100-1339017803_thumb.jpg

post-2501-0-85608500-1339017816_thumb.jpg

post-2501-0-58427900-1339017832_thumb.jpg

I believe I recently found one of those as well. Mine is just half a specimen but it is also large like yours. Found in one of the Orbitolina marker beds of the Upper Member of the Glen Rose, Blanco County, TX.

It has me stumped as well since it just doesn't match any of the known suspects. Mine is not nearly as well preserved but has similar characteristics.

Looks a bit like Coenholectypus sp. we find in Main Street Fm in N.Central TX

Not Coenholectypus which are regular.

This echinoid is irregular.

Thanks, Bill

Here are some photos of my half specimen. It's very worn, crushed and, well, only half there. But there is a shot of the amb and it's pores.

post-1875-0-17981400-1339184769_thumb.jpg post-1875-0-39588800-1339184790_thumb.jpg

erose - Looks like you found a chunk of one. Great.

I am very interested in searching that member of the Glen Rose.

I would really like to talk to you and share some info if possible.

Bill Thompson

Neat echinoid. No idea what type, because I've been learning to drive a truck and working rather than collecting. Anybody know of any places in the Temple/Belton, Tx. area to find echinoids? I've still got my passion for collecting, and I'd like to pick up some "rocks" once I get my CDL. Thanks every one.

Anybody know of any places in the Temple/Belton, Tx. area to find echinoids?...

I do not have any specific locality info, but being that I only get to your fine state for hunting once a year around X-mas time, and in light of the vast amount of paleo material you folks have to work with down there (especially around that area in particular), I'd say....just about anywhere you can find the Earth dug up or falling apart like a road cut or if you stumble on something while walking through a field, you should look down because you may have just kicked a fossil (ya, it seems that magical to those of us not from there lol)

scale in avatar is millimeters

Come visit Sandi, the 'Fossil Journey Cruiser'

WIPS (the Western Interior Paleontological Society - http://www.westernpaleo.org)

"Being genetically cursed with an almost inhuman sense of curiosity and wonder, I'm hard-wired to investigate even the most unlikely, uninteresting (to others anyway) and irrelevant details; often asking hypothetical questions from many angles in an attempt to understand something more thoroughly."

-- Mr. Edonihce

Plagiochasma texanum? It matches the information regarding the Orbitolina horizon

I have one small Plagiochasma texanum and it is different. Although I had to dig it out and check to make sure it wasn't just a question of scale. Or possibly(?) these are what P. texanum looks like when reaching full size. I also know that Bill Thompson is familiar with P. texanum and apparently ruled it out as well before making his original post.

We will have to gather more specimens and send some off to a professional for ID.

I got an ID.

Pygorhynchus L. Agassiz, 1839

It was identified by Dr. Andrew Smith from the National History Museum, London.

Thanks to everyone for looking and trying to help identify it.

Now I need to figure out how to describe it and publish. Anyone published before?

Thanks, Bill

Well, I could be misunderstanding what you mean here, but since it is a specimen of a species that is already described (which is why it was able to be identified), it seems like that particular publication work has already been done.

WIPS (the Western Interior Paleontological Society - http://www.westernpaleo.org)

"Being genetically cursed with an almost inhuman sense of curiosity and wonder, I'm hard-wired to investigate even the most unlikely, uninteresting (to others anyway) and irrelevant details; often asking hypothetical questions from many angles in an attempt to understand something more thoroughly."

-- Mr. Edonihce

I got an ID.

Pygorhynchus L. Agassiz, 1839

It was identified by Dr. Andrew Smith from the National History Museum, London.

Thanks to everyone for looking and trying to help identify it.

Now I need to figure out how to describe it and publish. Anyone published before?

Thanks, Bill

Excellent! A new genus for the Glen Rose. In fact I can not find it listed in any of my TX Cretaceous material although it is said to be "known from the Americas" whatever that means. If, or I should say when, I get back into the field this will be at the top of my hunt list. You will need more material to publish and I would be happy to contribute. I would suggest seeing if Dr. Smith will co-author with you as he did with W. Rader, Rader doing the majority of the field work.

Well, I could be misunderstanding what you mean here, but since it is a specimen of a species that is already described (which is why it was able to be identified), it seems like that particular publication work has already been done.

Bill just had the genus determined. The naming of a "new species" will take some serious leg work. Collections of known similar species and other collected specimens will have to be visited and reviewed and this specimen(s) compared to. You can't just do it from books no matter how complete your library is. But finding something new is always exciting.

The genus may be unknown from the location, and might thus be a candidate for publication.

EDIT: Beaten to the punch!

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

Bill just had the genus determined. The naming of a "new species" will take some serious leg work. Collections of known similar species and other collected specimens will have to be visited and reviewed and this specimen(s) compared to. You can't just do it from books no matter how complete your library is. But finding something new is always exciting.

Doh! I see that now. Sorry.

For some reason, when I first read Bill's comment that he got an ID, I took "Agassiz" to be the species. lol Oops.

The genus may be unknown from the location, and might thus be a candidate for publication.

Hmmmm, I guess I didn't realize people do that. I had the impression that they only published documentation about discoveries of species that hadn't ever been published on before. It makes sense though that you'd want to publish about a particular already-known species being found in a locality/formation/age/whatever that no one ever found it in before. In fact, now that I think of it, that must be the subject of/impetus for some of the pubs I've read over the years.

So, thank you.

-- Mr. Edonihce

Maybe I'm dense (but trying to learn) but what is the distinguishing feature of this echinoid that makes it different than a Coenholectypus? I may have to go and take a better look at all the "Coenholectypus" I have found. I've collected these (similar looking) guys in probably six or seven geo formations, including the Edwards.

peristome margin geometry, size and position (centrally located on coenholectypus, off center on this specimen), periproct size, shape, position, amb shape, apical plate configuration, tubercle and pore configuration. ambitus of coen perfectly round, this specimen (to me on my phone at least) looks slightly elongated.

Grüße,

Daniel A. Wöhr aus Südtexas

"To the motivated go the spoils."

Hahaha Bob no you aren't....I personally enjoy your presence here.

Grüße,

Daniel A. Wöhr aus Südtexas

"To the motivated go the spoils."

HERE IS THE EMAIL TEXT FROM Andrew Smith.

Hi Bill,

Definitely a new record for the US – this is a species of Pygorhynchus from what I can see from your pictures. The oblique peristome and oral periproct are the giveaway features. Well done!

I’m afraid there is only a rather grotty specimen of this genus illustrated in the Echinoid directory

http://www.nhm.ac.uk/research-curation/research/projects/echinoid-directory/taxa/taxon.jsp?id=548

Best wishes

Andrew

HERE IS THE EMAIL TEXT FROM Andrew Smith.

Hi Bill,

Definitely a new record for the US – this is a species of Pygorhynchus from what I can see from your pictures. The oblique peristome and oral periproct are the giveaway features. Well done!

I’m afraid there is only a rather grotty specimen of this genus illustrated in the Echinoid directory

http://www.nhm.ac.uk...axon.jsp?id=548

Best wishes

Andrew

So the question will be is it a known species of Pygorhynchus or something yet to be named? That will take some work.

Maybe I'm dense (but trying to learn) but what is the distinguishing feature of this echinoid that makes it different than a Coenholectypus? I may have to go and take a better look at all the "Coenholectypus" I have found. I've collected these (similar looking) guys in probably six or seven geo formations, including the Edwards.

When I first found my "half-specimen" I also thought it was just a large Coenholectypus as well. They do occur in the Glen Rose and I have some large ones. But on second look I realized it was not quite right for that ID. But still not at all quite like any heart urchin I had found. It is pretty much a mix of the two in many ways.

Bob

The Coenholectypus are Pentagonal or Subpentagonal in shape.

The Pygorhynchus is Oval in shape.

Thanks for your comments.

Bill

I think I'm too stupid to be on this forum.

lol Not at all, bud. We're all skilled/experienced to varying degrees at different levels of complexity with this stuff, and it's the mix of everyone here together that makes this place so great. :-).

-- Mr. Edonihce

Archived