First Ever Fossil Hunt In Florida! I Think It Was Worth It :)

moahunt1

I think seeing this is my first actual post I can make it a longish story...... but to cut a long story short Im Im Florida for ten days and have been facebook buddies with sundancer73 for quite a while and never thought I would ever get to Florida from little very far away New Zealand.

Anyway I ended up being in Canada for a while and then as my money was running out I decided I needed to explore the states. I wanted to go arrowhead hunting and Fossil hunting. So ended up here. After I flew in I was shown heaps of bone fossils from every creature I could imagine and some I had to google. We dont have this kind of fauna in New Zealand. I knew about the Megalodon teeth have liked them since I was a kid. The next morning Cris came over and showed me more of what I could find digging in creeks.

I was very dubious about the whole thing thinking that these teeth and bones have to be so rare, they told me how hard the digging was and how grotty the creeks might be with all the trash in them. I was was still keen thinking of the possibility of finding anything. I was happy looking for the tiny shark teeth that they said were to be found.

We left home got to the creek site and getting down there I was surprised to find there was only rubush there and the creek seemed clean and didnt smell like i thought it might lol. we walked a bit and in the gravel I saw a few small shark teeth which really got me excited as I had only ever found a few at home. Dug around a bit finding the all common dugong bones....... all my friends in nz would love them but will weigh too much to take them!!!!

It was getting exciting for me and Cris found a pond which he said had the right kind of gravel in it. So we got wet and started digging. And sifting and digging..... I cannot remember what order I found these but I think the leatherback turtle plate thingy was first then a cool crocodile tooth a ray skoot and then the Meg teeth : ) I found a smallish one first and I just thought it as a smallish shark tooth. Apparently it was a Meg it was good and it even got better when I saw the edge of a larger one on the shovel and then another!!!! got a piece of dolphin jaw heaps of whale bone all sorts of cool things.

Cris found a a whale tooth and a few other things then a couple of NIce Meg teeth (they are the ones on the shovel pictures) I grabbed mine of the shovel before they jumped back in and swam away. I found one of the smaller meg teeth in my spoil pile!!!

In one of the last shovels of the day i saw the edge of this Massive (in my eyes anyway) Meg tooth which I yelled for sundancer73 to grab before it fell in. I was blown away with how cool it was. It was very good day hunting andwith 9 days to go Im not worried if we dont beat the first day!!!

post-8711-0-83921200-1339081331_thumb.jpg

post-8711-0-45434000-1339081340_thumb.jpg

post-8711-0-98452000-1339081349_thumb.jpg

post-8711-0-26242100-1339081353_thumb.jpg

post-8711-0-23993200-1339081359_thumb.jpg

post-8711-0-97069000-1339081364_thumb.jpg

post-8711-0-02867600-1339081372_thumb.jpg

post-8711-0-93851500-1339081374_thumb.jpg

post-8711-0-81319900-1339081377_thumb.jpg

post-8711-0-58019700-1339081385_thumb.jpg

Hunted for fossils in:
UK - Lyme Regis, Charmouth, The Thames and Hampshire (two trips)
Egypt - Desert somewhere near Giza - Nummalites and petrified wood
Australia - Lightening Ridge opal fields - opalised things!!!!
USA - Florida- Gainesville creeks and Diving in the Santa Fe river Meg teeth and 10 000 year old mammals
New Zealand- Around 30 sites visited and collected from. Including Chatham Islands. and now Canada

I'm glad you've had a good time here, but it sounds like you are not in the habit of settling for less. :)

I have been to NZ once (part of wedding party); a week down in Otago. I have been scheming a return ever since. ;)

One of the many, many great impressions I came away with was that I did not see a single item of litter the whole time; I cringe at what you may have seen here...

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

the colors on these teeth are amazing! what part of florida did you hunt in. In the photo with the blue lighter theres a tooth the orange and blue with a white root, looks like a bone valley tooth. great hunt!

one day i will find a tooth over 3 inches in good conditon haha.

zachj, we dig some North Central, FL creeks. It's usually not nearly this productive, but we have a little "honey hole"

It was a fun little trip...Considering we didn't even leave to start collecting until after 2PM, I'd say it was a great success...and there's more to be found there. Can't wait to get back soon.

Also, there's not close up pics of them, but moahunt1 found two absolutely beautiful baby megalodon teeth that rival any in my collection....In just his first few hours ever digging in FL.

post-1553-0-55403300-1339090093_thumb.jp post-1553-0-46667300-1339090099_thumb.jp post-1553-0-28147000-1339090104_thumb.jp

youtube-logo-png-46031.png

Wow. That is great stuff for a first time or 100th time trip. The colors are just simply awesome. Congrats.

Hmmmm.... I posted a comment here earlier today and it's gone. Alrighty, I'll try again. Nice report and pictures, come back and visit again!

Anyone who has never made a mistake has never tried anything new.
-Albert Einstein

crabes-07.gif

if i ever go to florida i need to meet up with you guys yaw had a great day!

one day i will find a tooth over 3 inches in good conditon haha.

The megs from this spot ranged from olive to a light gray with an irridescence that reflected back almost white.. Never have seen that color before. @CH4: Moa accidently posted the report twice and we had Cris try to merge them.. but couldn't. He ended up just hiding the one with the least amount of replies.. Sry abt that. He did read them though. He and Cris are out in the rain looking for stull here in the local area.. I'm staying dry LOL

All your fossils are belong to us

very nice finds. Congratulations. Glad the US was kind to you.

Bulldozers and dirt Bulldozers and dirt
behind the trailer, my desert
Them red clay piles are heaven on earth
I get my rocks off, bulldozers and dirt

Patterson Hood; Drive-By Truckers

image.png.0c956e87cee523facebb6947cb34e842.png May 2016  MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png.a47e14d65deb3f8b242019b3a81d8160.png.b42a25e3438348310ba19ce6852f50c1.png May 2012 IPFOTM5.png.fb4f2a268e315c58c5980ed865b39e1f.png.1721b8912c45105152ac70b0ae8303c3.png.2b6263683ee32421d97e7fa481bd418a.pngAug 2013, May 2016, Apr 2020 VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png.af5065d0585e85f4accd8b291bf0cc2e.png.72a83362710033c9bdc8510be7454b66.png.9171036128e7f95de57b6a0f03c491da.png Oct 2022

Nice teeth, I want one!

" We're all puppets, I'm just a puppet who can see the strings. "

The megs from this spot ranged from olive to a light gray with an irridescence that reflected back almost white.. Never have seen that color before. @CH4: Moa accidently posted the report twice and we had Cris try to merge them.. but couldn't. He ended up just hiding the one with the least amount of replies.. Sry abt that. He did read them though. He and Cris are out in the rain looking for stull here in the local area.. I'm staying dry LOL

I'm gonna have to make a trip back south again. Was stationed at Valdosta years ago and Ft. Walton (Eglin) long ago. Lived in Tampa, Myrtle Beach, Charleston, blar, blar, blar. Miss the south and all the fossils, great food and great folks! Found my first shark tooth fossil on the beach at Fort Desoto Park when I was about 4 or 5 and that was a looooong time ago, LOL. I still have it! Stay dry and hope they find buckets full! :D

-Albert Einstein

crabes-07.gif

Looks like someone was having alittle fun. I hope to get out with you guys and hit a creek or two soon. Gville had a really hard rain today so I would hit those creeks again Friday. I would like to try the Withlacoochee this weekend but I have no idea what the water will look like with all this rain though. B) B) B):)

It's my bone!!!

Oh, ya got to love the silver shine on those creek teeth! B) B) B):D

It's my bone!!!

@CH4: When I was growing up, my dad was USAF and I too lived at Myrtle Beach AFB, Eglin and MacDill. Loved them ALL.

@CH4: When I was growing up, my dad was USAF and I too lived at Myrtle Beach AFB, Eglin and MacDill. Loved them ALL.

I'll give y'all a holler in a few years, overdue to visit some family at Ft Walton. Would love to go 'creeking' again. I'll post a photo of a tooth I found at MBAFB in the woods behind the civilian side runway terminal. Was playing war games, crawling around in chemical suit and found an unusual tooth laying in front of my gas mask. Too bad MB is closed now.

-Albert Einstein

crabes-07.gif

MBAFB.. across the highway and woods to the beach was ALWAYS producing nice megs. I'd go there everyday after school (Lakewood). Also, there used to be a drainage ditch which ran from the end of the runway to the beach and that was always VERY productive for stuff including mammal vertebrate fossils.

I was there when Hurricane Donna ripped through. She took out Pawley's Island and a couple of piers.. very sad... but, the teeth it brought up were amazing

My wife and I would collect buckets near Garden City Beach near Murrells Inlet, tons of stuff! Wanted to buy some land near Pawleys Island, (1981). It was nearly un-inhabited as compared to today (and much cheaper). Got orders to Japan and never came back.Found my first ever meg near Murrells Inlet by the Jetty. Great times!

Edited by CH4ShotCaller

-Albert Einstein

crabes-07.gif

Found my biggest there too.. 6" but a lot of chunks missing... found it at the river mouth

Awesome......North Texas has some nice teeth, but I got to get to Florida some day to see what you folks are talking about. Those teeth are beautiful, nice job!

Raptordude1, you'll never regret a trip down here..