Please Id A Carnassial

Shellseeker

Found a week ago. for a second thought it was a broken tapir. Size is 22x23x10 mm, about an inch wide. Is the wear on the inner surface pre-fossilization? Tooth location upper/lower?

Thanks for adding to my knowledge. SS

UPDATED to add this link of a (similar looking?) Jaguar Carnassial found in Florida. My big concern is the size. The link indicates 1.5 inches where mine is 1 inch -- Big difference in animal size!!!

http://www.paleodirect.com/lm9-006.htm

post-2220-0-35150200-1339194325_thumb.jpg

Edited by Shellseeker

The White Queen  ".... in her youth she could believe "six impossible things before breakfast"

Thanks!!! Either ID would be great. I have no Jaguar or Panther fossils, yet.

I have looked around the net and speculate that this is a m1 lower left carnassial. Measurements in Photos are millimeters.

post-2220-0-40343300-1339209143_thumb.jpg

post-2220-0-65080900-1339209160_thumb.jpg

The White Queen  ".... in her youth she could believe "six impossible things before breakfast"

PrehistoricFlorida and Harry, Thanks for another excellent Identification. This one will go into a preferred display area of my collection. It seems that Jaguar teeth are somewhat valuable, although I have only parted with fossils as gifts to relatives and friends.

PF, how do you differentiate between Jaguar and Panther --- Is the Panther Carnassial smaller?

Harry, I have thought about tooth position, and your photo seems to be lower right m1, but it is a spot on duplicate of the one I found.

Edited by Shellseeker

Yes, that is natural wear. It's from contact with the upper premolar (P4), an effective flesh slicing action.

Is the wear on the inner surface pre-fossilization?

PF, how do you differentiate between Jaguar and Panther --- Is the Panther Carnassial smaller?

Yes. Jaguars and panthers are essentially anatomically similar, but panthers are smaller.