Kansas To Yellowstone, Any Pointers

Ramo

I'm planning on loading up everyone and driving up to the north side of Yellowstone Park for a family vacation. I allready have a few stops planned for the way up, or the way back. Not real sure of the exact rout we will be taking. I lucked into a friend of a family member thing and we will have a cabin for 5 days 20 miles north of the park in Montana. I haven't been to the Yellowstone area since I was a baby, and am looking for any "must see" suggestions for the area, or areas between here and there. Those special off the road things are allways nice, and of course we would be very interested in anything fossil related.

Thanks

Ramo

For one species to mourn the death of another is a new thing under the sun.
-Aldo Leopold

Read the Yellowstone chapter in Bill Bryson's "A Short History of Nearly Everything"; it will add an adventurous edge to visiting the caldera of the world's largest supervolcano!

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

I did that trip two years ago, did a road trip from Texas up to Yellowstone, thru Montana and then trickled back down. I really enjoyed going to the Grand Tetons too- we stayed overnight right on the lake there...just the scenery alone will be wonderful for you to see. We saw everything from otters, ground squirrels, etc., deer, elk, moose, bear, and the list goes on. One of my favorite animals from when I was a kid was the marmots...it took me awhile to find them this time, but we did! post-4072-0-48733300-1339333024_thumb.jpg

One of my favorite mornings was when we were at Yellowstone Lake and I watched the sun rise. post-4072-0-99541700-1339332600_thumb.jpg

My favorite things in Yellowstone are obviously the waterfalls, the animals, and the volcanic areas (geysers etc.). The only thing I didn't like this last time I went was the increase in people at the park. We found places (trails) within the park, where we could wander away from the "civilization areas," and enjoy the true beauty of the scenery. Of course, trout fishing is always fun too.

Not sure how you plan to go home, but if you can make it to Dinosaur National Park and Fossil Butte on your way back, it is well worth it!

I could send you tons of pictures, but you will soon see the beauty the area provides. Enjoy it!

Fossils are simply one of the coolest things on earth--discovering them is just marvelous! Makes you all giddy inside!

Interesting fossil things in the park like the standing upright petrified tree stump in northern Yellowstone. Also, the drive out of the northeast Yellowstone entrance on Wyoming 212 to Red Lodge, Montana, cuts thru the Bear Tooth mountains and is considered one of the most scenic roads in the US.

Also, if you feel up for museums, the Museum of the Rockies is not too far away in Bozeman. That's Jack Horner's base of operations and they really have alot of great dino displays.

Edited by LanceHS