Wish I Got To It Sooner

Mike from North Queensland

Just had a quick trip to my favorite fossil hunting area. The finds were not spectacular but they cant all be diamonds.

I came accross a turtle laying on the surface, well it was once and if you use a lot of imignation it still could be.

Was nearly going to leave it, as the shell is too deteriated but it dawned on me that what was left on the surface may be the front of the shell.

So on the off chance I gridded it out and collected all the fragments in the hope that I can reassemble part of the shell and maybe find some diagnostic

material in good condition under the surface. I collected a few more bone fragments under the "shell'.

Once I started digging forward I came accross what I was hopping for the skull. Plastered it up and am now very hopefull it is in good enough condition to prep up well.

Mike

post-4980-0-48720600-1339316321_thumb.jpg

post-4980-0-81582300-1339316347_thumb.jpg

It sounds like another exciting adventure about to take place. Keep us posted on how the prep progresses.

I'll be looking forward to updates.

SWard
Southeast Missouri

(formerly Dallas/Ft. Worth, TX)

USA

Good find! Remind me what age tis site is...

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

The turtle came out of the Toolebuc Formation witch is Albian Cretaceous obout 100 million years old.

The species is most likely notochelone but will not know for sure until I prep it.

As a side question for all those that collect marine fossils, the white powder that surrounds the skull in the photo.

The white material appears to be fairly common where there are fossil remains and Isuspect it may be the fossilised remains

of some type of bacteria that ate the flesh of the dead animals. Has any one else seen this?

Without stating the ovious of a chalk bed.

That "powder" may be the result of the diagenetic process, which is catalyzed in a large part by the biochemestry of bacteria on a good feed, but I'd be surprised if it were the actual remains of the bacteria.

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

• 6 years later...

Unfortunately crushed flat so not much I can do with it.

I often see a similar white powder on bone material from the niobrara chalk.  Its just a thin layer right on the bone.  Its often among plant roots that also tend to cling to bone.

For one species to mourn the death of another is a new thing under the sun.
-Aldo Leopold

Archived