Engraver Preparation

Kosmoceras

I have been doing a fair bit of preparation recently on my chalk fossils, so I have this video to share. I have not got a picture before preparation started, but I will show you the result when it is finished - give me some time for that. I started preparing the fossil before, so the video starts half way through the process. The fossils in my gallery have been prepared the same way.

Thank you for looking.

[media=]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=93M7C5ZjPO4&feature=youtu.be[/media]

Very nice cosmo. Ive always wondered if those engravers work well. They probably work better than a dremel. I just would like to know the difference between them and an air scribe.

Thanks, I have never used a dremel, but from what I know engravers work pretty well. Never used and air scribe, but I am sure some members can point you in the right direction. I believe air scribes blast air out at the same time, making it more effective, and I have heard they are more accurate.

Very nice cosmo. Ive always wondered if those engravers work well. They probably work better than a dremel. I just would like to know the difference between them and an air scribe.

Here's a thread I remembered about regarding engravers.

http://www.thefossilforum.com/index.php/topic/26819-electronic-etchers-how-do-they-work/page__p__294519__hl__+sears%20+engraver#entry294519

I just now happened to notice that it was started by Kosmoceras as well. Maybe it convinced him to go buy one, it did me. I bought the Sears engraver that ashcraft had mentioned.

I've really been pleased with mine. I've never used an air scribe so I can't compare, but for my needs, it's a good fit.

SWard
Southeast Missouri

(formerly Dallas/Ft. Worth, TX)

USA

Here's a thread I remembered about regarding engravers. I just now happened to notice that it was started by Kosmoceras as well. Maybe it convinced him to go buy one, it did me. I bought the Sears engraver that ashcraft had mentioned.

I've really been pleased with mine. I've never used an air scribe so I can't compare, but for my needs, it's a good fit.

If I am correct, this is the topic you are talking about - Link. I was given this engraver from a friend, and I am sending him some fossils in return. They are a good piece of equipment for preparation of my needs too. Air abrasive would be ideal, but it does cost a lot. Engravers are a cheap tool that give good results.

If I am correct, this is the topic you are talking about - Link. I was given this engraver from a friend, and I am sending him some fossils in return. They are a good piece of equipment for preparation of my needs too. Air abrasive would be ideal, but it does cost a lot. Engravers are a cheap tool that give good results.

Kosmoceras,

You're correct. I forgot to include the link, so I've editted my posting as well.

I was looking at your gallery earlier this morning. Obviously the engraver is doing a great job for you. You've got some beautiful fossils. By the way, the pic you use in your postings is "haunting" looking. I like it.

SWard
Southeast Missouri

(formerly Dallas/Ft. Worth, TX)

USA

Well done, Thomas! ;)

Looks like you have the hang of it for sure.

Regards,

Tim    VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM APRIL - 2015  

The majority of the work the engraver does is trim down the matrix, but it can be used very carefully to show more of the fossil. Engravers work like mini jack-hammers; they vibrate at various speeds depending how fast you set it. You must hold the rock down, and gently press the tip into the matrix. Move it near the fossil, and carefully glide it through the rock, flaking fragments off and revealing more of the fossil. After I have used an engraver to reveal a fair bit of the fossil, I use dental picks and small blades against to fossil to tidy off any missed bits. Once that is done, I use a fine brush to tidy it up and get small bits of loose sediment off.

I hope that makes it clearer to those who are not familiar with the technique.

All the best,

Nice videos, and great description, Thomas!

Regards,

Tim    VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM APRIL - 2015  

Nice video, as for engravres versus airscribes. There is really no comparison to an air scribe. I used a dremel for many years and eventually moved up to air scribes, think I now have 6 different airscribes for different jobs. The The CP (Chicago pneumatics) and the ARO's get the most work . The ARO are the most precise of the ones I have and the ones I use for most of the prepping. One I have from Seally is best for bulk matrix remove when you have tons to remove and it is very hard. The air scribes are also much easier on the hands than the dremel . After using the dremel for just 10 minutes my fingers would be tingling. I can use an ARO for hours and not get fatigued.

Thanks Tim.

I would agree with you saying air scribes work a lot better, but they are a tad bit more expensive, thats why I have gone for this option. Air scribes produce better results too, they really are wonderful tools, however they again take up a lot of space with a compressor and all.

Nice work Thomas, some good prep can be done with an engraver, airscribes are more accurate but a lot more expensive.

Thanks

Neil.

• 3 weeks later...

Archived