Sign in to follow this  
squali

Broome And Delaware County

squali

I'm going to be working in western broome and delaware counties off and on this summer. I have been looking for some fossil locations and there seem to be quite a few. Looking in the old 'Fossils by State' paper I see the locations described as "MacDonald Location ##" What is the source of these descriptions. I am assuming they are from a paper or collection of papers. Any help would be appreciated

Thanks

squali

A lot of searching with the answer in front of me.

http://paleodb.org

Incredible web site

K.B. Macdonald. 1975. Journal of Geology 82:473-499

swervo513

hey I am new to the forum and am thinking about taking this up as a hobby or endeavor. I have a BA in anthropology and have been seriously contemplating going back to school for paleontology or archaeology. I live in Brooklyn Ny and would be willing to help your search so long as I can keep what I find for research purposes. If you would like a hand in a fossil hunt and want to plan an outing please contact me.

Thanks

Lorenzo

Fossildude19

hey I am new to the forum and am thinking about taking this up as a hobby or endeavor. I have a BA in anthropology and have been seriously contemplating going back to school for paleontology or archaeology. I live in Brooklyn Ny and would be willing to help your search so long as I can keep what I find for research purposes. If you would like a hand in a fossil hunt and want to plan an outing please contact me.

Thanks

Lorenzo

Welcome to the Forum Lorenzo. :)

You should really re-post this in the member introduction area - you may see more results from a topic geared towards finding hunting partners.

Off the top of my head, I would say Big Brook or Ramenissen Brook would be the closest sites for you to explore.

Do a Google search and a forum search for these. You'll find lots of info. ;)

Welcome again.

Regards,

swervo513

Thanks for the advice Tim. I will have to do some research for appropriate tools and sites to visit. A partner would help.

Qortni

Hi, squali -

I suggest checking out Bump's Creek in Afton in Chenango County (right next to Broome and Delaware Counties). It's easily accessable by parking in Afton Central School's parking lot. Just follow the creek upstream. The majority of the fossils can be found around the first and second waterfalls, not a very far hike up - but prepare to get your feet wet (water usually isn't more than knee deep). The creek is picturesque, and many years of severe flooding there makes it a great place for easy finds. Bring your bug spray, camera, an extra pair of socks, and a back pack with a drink and snack. You can spend a LOT of time there. Items of interest (aside from the fossils) are the easily climbable waterfalls, an old mill foundation, and old saw mill dam (the majority of it washed away many years ago) - up by the second waterfall.

Expect to find brachipods and crinoids in abundance. Some still have the calcium within, and some have crystalized.

Good luck!

~ Qortni.

squali

Qortni,

Thank you so much for an incredible experience. We've been working practicaly non stop for weeks and I had a half a day on the 5th. I was looking thru my ambiguous data when I thought to look at my content on the TFF to see if anything was posted that I hadn't seen. Lo and behold there was your post.

The creek at Afton middle school is amazing. Thank you for the suggestion. not only is the geologic and paleontologic experience fascinating, the beauty of the place is surreal. Thanks again for taking the time to let us in on a treasure.

P.S. You are right about being able to stay there for a long time. LOL.

Jeff

Edited by squali