June 2012 Finds Of The Month

Cris

Entries will be taken through June 30th. Please let us know if you have any questions, and thanks for sharing more of your fossils and research this month.

To view the Winning Fossils from past contests visit the Find Of The Month Winner's Gallery.

____________________________________________________________________________________

Rules for The Fossil Forum's Vertebrate and Invertebrate/Plant Find of the Month Contests

1. You find a great Vertebrate Fossil or Invertebrate/Plant Fossil! Only fossils found by you.

2. Post your entry in the Find of the Month topic. Use a separate post for each entry.

3. Your Fossil must have been found during the Month of the Contest, or the significant Preparation of your Fossil must have been

completed during the Month of the Contest.

4. You must include the Date of your Discovery or the Date of Preparation Completion.

5. You must include the common or scientific name.

6. You must include the Geologic Age or Geologic Formation where the Fossil was found.

7. Play fair. No bought fossils.

Shortly after the end of the Month, separate Polls will be created for the Vertebrate and Invertebrate/Plant Find of the Month. The maximum entries allowed by the Polling software will be selected for each contest by the staff.

In addition to the fun of a contest, we also want to learn more about the Fossils. So, only entries posted with a CLEAR photo and that meet the other guidelines will be placed into the Poll.

Within a few days, we will know the two winning Finds of the Month! Now, go find your fossil, do your research, and make an entry!

youtube-logo-png-46031.png

Late Silurian Eurypterid

Fiddlers Green Formation, Bertie Group

Collected June 15, 2012.

2 " long

post-2446-0-59063300-1339808423_thumb.jpg

Inverted Colours

post-2446-0-58054600-1339808041_thumb.jpg

Edited by pleecan

Very nice find Peter........... e.remipes

Thanks Malcolm! looking forward to hunt for more critters...

My fossil for this FOTM is associated plant debris.

A variety of fossil plant remains are found in the British Chalk. These were from the nearby land, laid down when sea-levels were lower. The most commonly encountered plant remains in the British Chalk are bundles of fragments. The bundles of plant matter are normally tubular.

One possibility is that they represent the coprolites of herbivore dinosaurs, which have dried and been carried out to sea. Another theory is that they could be burrows lined with plant fragments, carried into the burrows of Terebella lewesiensis. One last theory is that these associations are just plant debris that has been carried out to sea by the course of the wind whilst floating on the surface of the sea.

This example comes from a chalk quarry which is situated in Dunstable, Bedfordshire, UK. Lower Chalk, 70 – 90 million years old. Lower Chalk (Middle Cenomanian), (A.rhotomagenese Zone) Grey Chalk. Found on the 4th June 2012.

post-4683-0-24017200-1339773493_thumb.jpg

Edited by Kosmoceras

I will add a Cretalamna sp shark tooth to the list. Shark teeth are pretty uncommon at Totternhoe, so I am lucky to have found this tooth despite its small size.

This example comes from a chalk quarry which is situated in Dunstable, Bedfordshire, UK. Lower Chalk, 70 – 90 million years old. Lower Chalk (Middle Cenomanian), (A.rhotomagenese Zone) Grey Chalk. Found on the 4th June 2012.

post-4683-0-45498500-1339774543_thumb.jpg post-4683-0-25170500-1339774551_thumb.jpg post-4683-0-62268600-1340300586_thumb.jpg

Edited by Kosmoceras

Albertosaurus tooth found on June 3rd. Late Cretaceous.

post-6472-0-44064600-1339796035_thumb.jpg

A fossil hunter needs sharp eyes and a keen search image, a mental template that subconsciously evaluates everything he sees in his search for telltale clues. -Richard E. Leakey

http://prehistoricalberta.lefora.com

Serratolamna serrata,

Upper cretaceous late maastrichtian (lava).

Also fond the 2 june.

It was a good day with these two teeth.

Greetings Erik

post-4937-0-63875200-1339971520_thumb.jpg

I will add a Palaeospinacidae tooth to the list. Palaeospinacidae teeth are pretty uncommon at Totternhoe, so I am lucky to have found this tooth despite its small size.

This example comes from the Totternhoe chalk quarry which is situated in Dunstable, Bedfordshire, UK. Lower Chalk, 70 – 90 million years old. Lower Chalk (Middle Cenomanian), (A.rhotomagenese Zone) Grey Chalk. Found on the 4th June 2012.

post-4683-0-45498500-1339774543_thumb.jpg post-4683-0-25170500-1339774551_thumb.jpg

I don't want to question your determination per se, but none of the Palaeospinacids I own, have seen and held had a lamniform root like that. That tooth looks a lot like a posterior tooth of a lamniform such as Cretalamna or Dwardius.

I don't want to question your determination per se, but none of the Palaeospinacids I own, have seen and held had a lamniform root like that. That tooth looks a lot like a posterior tooth of a lamniform such as Cretalamna or Dwardius.

I am currently awaiting a more accurate ID from a friend who works with these fossils, until I can update I will not say Palaeospinacidae for sure, but I have seen examples of Palaeospinacidae with similar roots in one of my books, (that is where I got my ID).

It was suggested I enter this one for FOTM.

It is Ghost Shrimp burrows with coprolites infilled... Found GMR Greenville, NC, Pitt county.

GMR is Cretacous through Pliocene

post-4990-0-26368900-1340244479_thumb.jpg

post-4990-0-27466500-1340244497_thumb.jpg

post-4990-0-33627900-1340244517_thumb.jpg

I am currently awaiting a more accurate ID from a friend who works with these fossils, until I can update I will not say Palaeospinacidae for sure, but I have seen examples of Palaeospinacidae with similar roots in one of my books, (that is where I got my ID).

What book, if you don't mind me asking? Have you held other Synechodontiform or Palaeospinacid teeth? I'd really like to know what book shows a Palaeospinacid tooth with a lamniform root. That would probably be a Nature-worthy article :P

On top of that, Palaeospinacidae have conical and pointy sidecusps, except maybe for commisural teeth. Your tooth shows rounded and flat (instead of pointy and conical) sidecusps. It definitely IS a really nice tooth though. I like to see pictures of cretaceous shark teeth from the UK. I don't see them pop-up quite often (except for those two website on fossils/shark teeth of the English chalk). You should cherish that fossilhunting site! As I've heard, not a lot of quarries are accessible to the public anymore in the UK. Great job!

I do not have it with me now, but it is the Open University palaeontology book. It has since been returned to the library. It might be a mistake, either by the book, or most likely me looking at the wrong diagram on the page. Once I have a reply from the chalk fossil contact I will update. Thanks for your concerns.

All the best,

Just finished this Aturia Angusta concretion. Too bad the photo doesnt show the fire in the complete specimen , I found these in the lincoln creek formation of Washington State. They are very rare in this preservation and one of my favorite fossils besides crabs. :wub:

post-235-0-98672900-1340420137_thumb.jpg

Edited by micropterus101

This is my entry for the month of June. A Scarce fossilized piece of wood from Eastern, NC. USA. 17 1/4" long and 6 1/2" wide by 5 3/4" thick at the thickest point. I found this piece in a eocene cretaceous deposit. Could be alot older! The fossil weighs almost 40 pounds. A very dense/Solid piece. I was out hunting and this piece was just shining at me! Glistening in the sun light like it was on fire! I walked over to it and all I could do was sit and admire its beauty. The top of the fossil looks like it was burned at one time a long time ago then was crystallized. It is covered with small black crystals.. All of the shine that you see in the pictures does not even show this fossils true beauty. I love this fossil! Hope you enjoy the pics!

P.S. Do you think that carpenter bee is going to like the taste of this wood? Picture #1 :D

post-8250-0-84920900-1340423987_thumb.jpg

post-8250-0-07618200-1340423991_thumb.jpg

post-8250-0-80035600-1340423993_thumb.jpg

post-8250-0-47197700-1340423995_thumb.jpg

post-8250-0-65565700-1340423997_thumb.jpg

post-8250-0-62506900-1340423999_thumb.jpg

post-8250-0-13253800-1340424002_thumb.jpg

post-8250-0-92673200-1340424005_thumb.jpg

post-8250-0-72715100-1340424007_thumb.jpg

post-8250-0-99112000-1340424009_thumb.jpg

Edited by Fossils4U

Thank You! It is one of my better finds this year so far. :)

wow thats a nice piece of petrified wood!

Nice Find!

Just finished this Aturia Angusta concretion. Too bad the photo doesnt show the fire in the complete specimen , I found these in the lincoln creek formation of Washington State. They are very rare in this preservation and one of my favorite fossils besides crabs. :wub:

post-235-0-98672900-1340420137_thumb.jpg

Well my son Hopper15 (Russell) found these in May but I just now finished cleaning and stabilizing them. He dose not have a computer to upload pictures right now so I told him I would do it for him. Hope that is OK. Some of you may have already seen the post under Hunting Trips but here are the other good ones he found.

These little brittle stars are form the Lake Waco site Texas, Cretaceous, Ophiura graysonenses

This is really a group of fossils with a couple real pretty ones.

Well my son Hopper15 (Russell) found these in May but I just now finished cleaning and stabilizing them. He dose not have a computer to upload pictures right now so I told him I would do it for him. Hope that is OK. Some of you may have already seen the post under Hunting Trips but here are the other good ones he found.

These little brittle stars are form the Lake Waco site Texas, Cretaceous, Ophiura graysonenses

This is really a group of fossils with a couple real pretty ones.

Awesome brittle star Thair!

Process of identification "mistakes create wisdom".