Green River formation: F1, F2 quarries

Dapalis1

Hi everybody,

As you probably noticed i am quite a bin fan of fish fossils from the Green River formation.

However my knowledge about the sedimentology is not very good. I have read some books about this topic (Lance Grande and others) but there are still a few questions that came into my mind.

Indeed i am aware of the difference between shore line quarries and center of the lake quarries. As far as i understand these two areas were inhabited by different species. But what i didn't get is why some slabs are brown colored and why others are quite bright and whitish. I mean why some fishes come out bright and whitish and why others have a very dark skin preservation... happy.gif Is that dark skin preservation natural or is it due to restoration ?

Moreover, i have been told that last year they found a snake at the Blue Moon Quarry. What kind of quarry is this? Is it a F1 or F2 quarry? Is it nearby the shore line or in the center of the lake...? I have never heard of that quarry before but it seems to be quite famous over there these days... wink.gif

Let me know if have any information about all those questions !

Thanks,

Dapalis1

Dapalis1

I know that some fish are stained in final prep to make them more attractive. Otherwise, the depositional environment is the key to the color of the shale and/or fossils.

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

I know that some fish are stained in final prep to make them more attractive. Otherwise, the depositional environment is the key to the color of the shale and/or fossils.

Any information about the Blue Moon Quarry ? ;)

Dapalis1

No one can help ? tongue.gif

It is near Kemmerer, in a Fossil Lake deposit. I found this about it:

"The Blue Moon Quarry is located much closer to the shore line of Fossil Lake. As a result, we find fossil plant material and insects in addition to the fish that we normally find. The fish are also colored differently, ranging from a fabulous carmel to chocolate brown, to a reddish black."

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

It is near Kemmerer, in a Fossil Lake deposit. I found this about it:

"The Blue Moon Quarry is located much closer to the shore line of Fossil Lake. As a result, we find fossil plant material and insects in addition to the fish that we normally find. The fish are also colored differently, ranging from a fabulous carmel to chocolate brown, to a reddish black."

I found that too on a commercial website (JC fossiles). But i would like to know a little bit more not only about the Blue Moon Quarry itself but also about all the other quarries in Fossil Lake... ^_^

Dapalis1

the snake was indeed found last summer in a split fish layer quarry. near shore. i have seen both the part and counter part of the specimen and it is absolutely incredible. one of tom lindgrens sons found it on a single slabe unbroken. it is now completely prepared and is beautiful.

the light and dark colors in the rocks are caused by seasonal sediment flow. the lighter colors being deposited in the summer and the dark in the weinter with all the dead organic organic matetrial wahing downstream. (or is it the other way around, i don't remember but it is in the bulliten 63)

the fish preservation colors depend on the amounts of certain minerals, which ones i don't know, that are in the surrounding rock that replaces the organic material. hence some split fish quarries such as warfields, have the lighter orange colored fish and others like severns and the blue moon quarry, have dark fish on light rock. tynskys fish are nearly black but the preservation is terrible. so most of his low end fish are nearly all paint.

Brock

and if any of you are interested the snake is for sale. only $1 million!!

post-37-1222267257_thumb.jpg

post-37-1222267284_thumb.jpg

the snake was indeed found last summer in a split fish layer quarry. near shore. i have seen both the part and counter part of the specimen and it is absolutely incredible. one of tom lindgrens sons found it on a single slabe unbroken. it is now completely prepared and is beautiful.

Was this at the Denver show in '07? If it is one and the same, I saw it up close and personal. Fabulous piece.

Wm.T.

the light and dark colors in the rocks are caused by seasonal sediment flow. the lighter colors being deposited in the summer and the dark in the weinter with all the dead organic organic matetrial wahing downstream. (or is it the other way around, i don't remember but it is in the bulliten 63)

the fish preservation colors depend on the amounts of certain minerals, which ones i don't know, that are in the surrounding rock that replaces the organic material. hence some split fish quarries such as warfields, have the lighter orange colored fish and others like severns and the blue moon quarry, have dark fish on light rock. tynskys fish are nearly black but the preservation is terrible. so most of his low end fish are nearly all paint.

Brock

Wouah that is exactly what i was looking for. Do you know if there is some litterature about that?

1 million $ tongue.gif My pocket is not that deep.

Anyway thanks a lot!

Dapalis1

Dapalis1

look on page 6 of lance grande's bulletin. it talks about the seasonal varves in the "18 inch layer"

Brock

i will look around for some other info for you.

ebrocklds

Hey Brock,

Could you send me some pictures of the snake, i mean full size pictures along with some articles? Im really interested in reading up on this.

You said that you have seen the snake. Where did you see it? At the Tucson show or in a museum?

I found a copy of a local article on the internet

http://www.kemmerergazette.com/V2_news_art...mp;story_id=602

I have a copy of L. Grande's book and im going to read through it more carefully!

I believe the Lindgren family is pretty famous out there. I have also heard of David Lindgren, i believe he prepares fossils? wink.gif

It's too bad that such a rare specimen is for sale! ohmy.gif

Thanks,

Dapalis1

Dapalis1