Mistakenidentosaurus Becoming a Thing of the Past

Guest Nicholas

Naming a new species of vertibrate based on a few bone fragments is perilous, but as the pool of specimens for comparison grows, the endeavor becomes self-refining.

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

The article says that T-rex's original name was Mnaospondylus, but, correct me if I'm wrong, but wasn't the original anme supposed to be Dynamosaurus imperiousous??? :wacko::blink:

Tha tighin fodham, fodham, fodham!

I say we all grab a hammer and go find us one to name, who knows maybe we could find something in one of the group outings. Wouldn't that be something, OK, I'll stop dreaming now, someone shake me and wake me up!

I say we all grab a hammer and go find us one to name, who knows maybe we could find something in one of the group outings. Wouldn't that be something, OK, I'll stop dreaming now, someone shake me and wake me up!

There are several members of this Forum who have done just that!

Dream BIG, mommabetts!

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

That really WAS an interesting article. I learned at least a few things from it. Now you have me wanting to research more, Nick...like you always do.

Gosh, Sharktooth...are you a PhD or something? I really enjoy learning on here, but I feel so dumb... :mellow:

Guest solius symbiosus

"At the start of the nineties we guessed there might be 1,200 species, but after a decade of discoveries and some 300 new species, that figure has risen to perhaps 2,200."

That kind of puts fossilization of terrestrial verts into perspective. It is incrediblely rare for something to fossilize. Imagine if, in the future, some race only had 2200 specie to describe the mammals of the Cenozoic.

Guest Nicholas
Now you have me wanting to research more, Nick...like you always do.

I try my friend, I love these articles because I am unable to hunt as readily as most so I devote my time to studying the craft so to speak.

Gosh, Sharktooth...are you a PhD or something? I really enjoy learning on here, but I feel so dumb... :mellow:

Don't worry man, I'm just a regular 16 year old high school kid. Don't worry, it took a while for me to learn what I now know, and I still pale in comparison to Northern Sharks, Harry Pristis, and the other major members. Learning is a part of life that never ends :D

WOW SHARKTOOTHGUY, out of the mouths of babes, I wish more people your age had the philosophy, the world would be a better place. I for one feel one can never have enough knowledge.

WOW SHARKTOOTHGUY, out of the mouths of babes, I wish more people your age had the philosophy, the world would be a better place. I for one feel one can never have enough knowledge.

ahhhh shucks :blush: