jdsmodena

I'm new to the site and am finally engaging my childhood fascination with fossils with a little hunting.

I found these in the Oregon Buttes area of Wyoming. I think it's some kind of algae, but I'm unsure. The area is known to have been a shallow sea area. In the area there is a lot petrified wood and fossil coral. I have other pieces of the stuff. It might just be a kind of mineral that I am unfamiliar with. Learning as I go.

Any thoughts?

post-8794-0-73134700-1339980081_thumb.jpg

post-8794-0-07554900-1339980112_thumb.jpg

Doesn't look like the stromatolites that I am familiar with, they have "growth rings" and often appear similar to petrified wood.

Brent Ashcraft

ashcraft, brent allen

Maybe carbonized plant residue?

"Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence"_ Carl Sagen

No trees were killed in this posting......however, many innocent electrons were diverted from where they originally intended to go.

" I think, therefore I collect fossils." _ Me

"When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth."__S. Holmes

"can't we all just get along?" Jack Nicholson from Mars Attacks

Does look like algal crud similar to those found in the Silurian deposits in Ontario...

Any idea where I could find pictures of these algal elements in the Silurian deposits. Thanks for sharing thoughts.

Algal mats look like a featureless black blob that has been flatten... sometimes one can make out some microstructures under magnification... I saw these last week in the field

but did not take any pictures....