Is It A Cornularid?

Acryzona

Good Morning,

Found this last month in the Jacksonburg Limestone (Middle Ordovician) near Blairstown, NJ. The smallest division in the pictured ruler are 1/32" or 0.8 mm

Thanks!

Acryzona

post-2453-0-18447500-1340029284_thumb.jpg

Collecting Microfossils - a hobby concerning much about many of the little

paraphrased from Dr. Robert Kesling's book

I vote "yes".

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

I'll third it...but I'd call it a conulariid!

-Joe

Joe

After all these years and one can still learn something new. I never noticed the second "i" in conulariid.

crinus (aka Joe)

Thanks everybody for the confirmation (and the corrected spelling). This was a float sample from the type locality and I'm looking for a sample of upper Jacksonburg Ls as it is reported to have a silicified fauna (maybe even ostracods!). According to an old faunal survey, the conulariids are found in the upper but not lower Jacksonburg hence the need for an id.

Now I'll dissolve the rock (but save the conulariid) and see what I've got.

Nice conulariid! I would love to see pictures of it after you dissolve the rock! Shoot, I would love to see pictures of the process too! Nice find!

It is not the strongest of the species that survives, nor the most intelligent that survives. It is the one that is the most adaptable to change.

Charles Darwin

I'll third it...but I'd call it a conulariid!

-Joe

I kinda like "cornulariid" with salt and butter :)

I'm sure I'm guilty of leaving out the other "i" when I write it but it's always where it belongs when I say it.

That's a nice Ordovician conularid! Is it silicified also? I've collected the Ord. all over the place and have never found a nice conularid. :envy:

"Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence"_ Carl Sagen

No trees were killed in this posting......however, many innocent electrons were diverted from where they originally intended to go.

" I think, therefore I collect fossils." _ Me

"When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth."__S. Holmes

"can't we all just get along?" Jack Nicholson from Mars Attacks

Thanks everyone. The acid is on its way and I'll post when I get a sample dissolved. Don't know if the conulariid is silicified - haven't checked yet. On another sample (lower Jacksonburg), there are Leperditia ostracods. Need to sacrifice one to see if it is silicified also.

While, they are common from some later periods, Ordovician conlulariids are very rare.

EDIT: Most that I have seen are a couple of cm, at best. what is the size?

Edited by thanatocoenosis

2012 NCAA Collegiate Round Ball Champs; and in '98, '96, '78, 58, '51, '49, and '48, too.

Joe

After all these years and one can still learn something new. I never noticed the second "i" in conulariid.

crinus (aka Joe)

I love the sound of that second "i" -- ee id--e,g; bysonychiid

2012 NCAA Collegiate Round Ball Champs; and in '98, '96, '78, 58, '51, '49, and '48, too.