Something Special Or Just Fossil Art

KyWahine

While hunting Sunday, I came across several nice rock fossils that imitate art. Take a look and let me know what you think. I have no idea of the fossil types, but I am in Northeastern Trigg County in Western Kentucky (Mississippian Era) right next door to LBL.

post-7980-0-94321300-1340130231_thumb.jpg

The lacy stuff in the second image is a fenestrate bryozoan.

Context is critical.

Maybe not sand dollar due to the back being a bit holey... :wacko:. This fossil is wedged where it the rock thins going toward the top.

There were many idk's in Sunday's hunt, but how exciting :)

post-7980-0-94659300-1340131141_thumb.jpg

Thanks Missourian... I'm learning but it is hard to tell sometimes between the bryozoan textures and some other shells. I have my first Bryozoan confirmation :)

My lizard sponge... At least I think this may be a sponge coral? These are older rocks from 100 yards from where I usually hunt. That area has many bigger rocks with fossils that I have to stay away from... I'd be lugging them all home... lol.

post-7980-0-72871400-1340131824_thumb.jpg

Sand dollar medallion (front?)? Idk, but it sure is cool.

I'm thinking maybe Evactinopora bryozoan.

Steve

I'm thinking maybe Evactinopora bryozoan.

A starfish... wow. From googling your thoughts, I pulled up a site even talks how the fossil is wedged thinning toward the top. This one is Evactinopa Grandis (4 Rays). Haven't seen many references about the 2 holes on the backside. Another bryozoan :) - & they are so different from each other.

This is fun; I'm glad you are posting your finds!

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

Thanks Auspex... I am having a wonderful time with my new hobby. This is greatly due to your forum. Thank you again... & how I missed u guys when the site was down! Glad to see it's up and running smoothly.

Those are some interesting specimens, thanks for posting the pix. You are correct in that you are mainly in Mississippian strata. There is some Eocene and Cretaceous in your area also but no fossils in the formations. The sand dollar looking thing is interesting, but I think the rock in your area is too young, Looking forward to more of your pix.

"Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence"_ Carl Sagen

No trees were killed in this posting......however, many innocent electrons were diverted from where they originally intended to go.

" I think, therefore I collect fossils." _ Me

"When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth."__S. Holmes

"can't we all just get along?" Jack Nicholson from Mars Attacks