shell id ?

JimC

Looks quite similar to some of the Upper Cretaceous Exogyra oysters we have here in TX. Other Campanian-Maastrichtian (roughly 65-75 million year old) deposits in the Gulf Coast may have similar forms.

Grüße,

Daniel A. Wöhr aus Südtexas

"To the motivated go the spoils."

Both valves are present; nice oyster!

Supply the name of the formation and someone here will be able to name it :)

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

Looks like it might be from the Upper Cretaceous Selma Group.

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

I would say EXOGYRA, they are found in the Atlantic coastal areas, gulf coast and all the way to Utah. They get pretty big I have found them in the NSR as much as 6 inches long so far!

Guest bmorefossil

sweet i would love to have like a really big shell, i have ones that are in the 5-6" range but i want a shell thats like 10-11" i dont think you can find any in maryland )=

is it really 4 inches long? it doesnt look that big

It is 4.5" long x 4" wide x 2.44" high

see attached

Thankya'll for the input

So by definition is this a shell of fossil?

It appears to me to be shell by the coloration and detail.

post-802-1222296241_thumb.jpg

post-802-1222296280_thumb.jpg

post-802-1222296392_thumb.jpg

Yes it is a shell fossil. The shells on them are so thick that they remain pretty much intact. Unlike alot of the shells that are molds and the shell has gone.

it's a fossil shell. what it really comes down to is the old argument about what the definition of a fossil is. and that's been argued quite a bit here, but your shell pretty much can't be anything close to modern, so even if the shell material is original, it's a fossil.

So by definition is this a shell of fossil?

It appears to me to be shell by the coloration and detail.

If I've deduced the formation correctly, it's in the neighborhood of 70 million years old, which definitely qualifies as fossil!

Guest N.AL.hunter

I would say it is a very good specimen. If you found it high and dry, good. If you found it in a watery environment (actually submerged), be careful as they sometimes crack when drying.

I agree with N.Al Hunter, its Exogyra costata, an upper Cretaceous oyster. They are found in the Gulf Coast plains in upper Cretaceous outcrops. The condition of this specimen I would consider a little better than average. The major valve is complete and the minor valve is almost complete. A 4 inch specimen is not particularly large but is a nice size.

JKFoam

The Eocene is my favorite

...I havn't been able to find a pic of the exogyra costata though.

Here you go:

post-423-1222468251_thumb.jpg

JimC,

For images of Exogyra costata go to Google and click on Images, then enter Exogyra costata. You will get several images of this fossil.

JKFoam

The Eocene is my favorite