PaleoDude24

Fossil Hunting On Indiana's Lakeshore

PaleoDude24

I live in Northwest Indiana right by the shores of Lake Michigan. I was wondering if anybody had information on where to look in the area around the lake and what types of fossils I might find there. Any help would be appreciated. THANKS! :D

squalicorax

Mostly worn pebbles of greatly moved paleozoic rocks. Devonian possibly and Silurian definitely. Alot of that shoreline is Sand dunes.

PaleoDude24

So would I be searching for these pebbles near the water then?

squalicorax

You need to look for where gravel gets deposited along the shoreline. Certain beaches will have it. Or you could just go to Mazonia. It is about a 2 hour drive from you.

PaleoDude24

I went to Mazonia today actually for my birthday! It was loads of fun and I have a ton of concretions to freeze-thaw. I would love to go back all the time, but I can't make a 2 hour drive to Mazonia whenever I want to so I was looking for a place closer to home where I could go whenever I wanted to. Thanks for the information. I am planning on heading to the beach sometime soon so I'll post any good fossils I come across. Thanks again! :)

squalicorax

If you are up for a few hour drive i have more sites around you. Toledo Oh Southern Indiana, Couple spots in Wisconsin.

drhemlock

as i live in rushville, indiana i would like to find somebody or a few guys and gals who would like to show me around some good fossil hunting places close by me. i live on hwy 52 and have learned of a few road cuts but not sure where they are. as i am a disabled veteran (not so disabled) i can walk a ways no wheelchair now i would like some info on area around me also. i have tools and wish to gather some material for practicing my skills with my airscribe and dental picks and awls i have gathered just for this. any help would be great and if you are going somewhere where you would want some good company let me know,

james underwood

evannorton

Things to find in the michiana area include:

- crinoid stems

- rugose coral (horn coral)

- petoskey stones

- favosite

Most of the fossils are in the gravel beds on the beach or near the break..... In my experience you can find better crinoid pieces in deeper water.

Rob Russell

drhemlock... you're very close to the St. Leon road cut. Lots of ordovician goodies there. I've been three times this year, and have done well each time. good luck!

AgrilusHunter

drhemlock... you're very close to the St. Leon road cut. Lots of ordovician goodies there. I've been three times this year, and have done well each time. good luck!

James,

Rob's suggestion of St. Leon is excellent. Southwestern Indiana and then into Ohio will produce some fantastic Ordovician aged finds for you to practice your prep skills on. Best of luck!

glacialerratic

If I lived in in Indiana, I'd be on that St. Leon cut all the time. Forget the lakeshore, it's a nice place to visit. If you want killer fossils go to Brookville/St. Leon. A pretty easy cut to hunt on, too!

indianaadrienne

I know this is an older post, but I'll respond anyway. I'm in valpo, & always searching the net for the same info in your question. It doesn't have to be fossils. Rockhounding of all kind is interesting to me. But when looking for some interesting locations to hunt, everyone sends us south. I want something close that I can get to when I have a few hours to spare. But may I suggest Wihala Beach in Whiting. I've never had much luck at the Dunes. At Wihala (west side, not east side) the gravel/rocks/etc. seem to collect there without breaking as much as other places. I haven't looked for fossils there, but it's worth a shot. I've attached a few images of the beach, it's rockier than the dunes.

post-13159-0-67678400-1398600586_thumb.jpgpost-13159-0-92027100-1398600600_thumb.jpg
Edited by indianaadrienne