Federal Charges For Florida Fossil Dealer

PrehistoricFlorida

Thanks Nate, that seems to be at least a balanced accounting of the facts in evidence.

One paragraph caught my attention as useful beyond the context of this controversy:

To help collectors and dealers make sure what they are excavating or buying is legal, Winters is compiling individual nations' laws on fossils for a revised edition of Donald Wolberg's book "Collecting the Natural World" (Geoscience Press, 1997). Winters also plans to post the information on the AAPS journal website

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

• 2 weeks later...

Florida fossils dealer seeks return of dinosaur he put together before it

was seized in NY, Larry Neumeister, Associated Press, August 20, 21012

Montreal Magazine, http://www.montrealgazette.com/technology/Florida+fossils+dealer+seeks+return+dinosaur+together+before+seized/7118549/story.html

Fox News, August 20, 2012, http://www.foxnews.com/us/2012/08/20/fossils-dealer-in-florida-wants-dinosaur-back/

Atlanta Journal Constitution, http://www.ajc.com/news/nation-world/florida-fossils-dealer-seeks-1502908.html

Best wishes,

Paul H.

Do you presume to know the minds of the Mongolians?!

Well... Let's see. Mongolia almost lost a Tarbosaurus to the USA's Fossil Black Market, and I applaud the officials for making such effort to retrieve the dinosaur. But for China, we lose...

Thousands of Psittacosaurs, Hundreds of thousands of Keichosaurs, Hundreds of Ichthyosaurs, Hundreds of Protoceratops, Thousands of Birds, Hundreds of Thousands of Dinosaur Eggs, Thousands of Rhinoceros, Hundreds of Sabertooth Cats and Wolves, Hundreds of Crocodiles and Turtles, and over thousands of other vertebrate species put together. But if that's not bad enough, undescribed and new material are AMONG them! Many of them are considered to be national treasures! If someone took a freaking native T-rex away from China (If we had one), well heck, which government wouldn't be chasing down their behinds?? If I do say so myself, I think I do know it quite well.

Frankly, I don't care. I do care about a rational and proportional legal outcome for the collector.

Ohh I see... maybe I'll go dig up Sue's bigger sister in Montana, ship it to Mongolia with falsified shipping documents, Take out the bones from the matrix and fill it in with other T-rex parts and plaster, put it up for auction, sell it to a rich collector for $100,000,000, disregard and joke at the efforts of other USA officials as they try to retrieve the national treasure, disrespect those who acknowledge the importance of the fossil, tell everyone that there will be no way of knowing where the T-rex came from, and tell those who care "I don't care"... :P

Let me point out that these bones are not unique sacred objects

I mean no disrespect, but coming from one who does not value the treasures of another country, how do you know? :)

I hope this alters your perspective a little . . . gives you a new paradigm to examine the current state of affairs.

I'm sorry, but no. However, I am quite disturbed at this thought.

• 1 month later...

Oh man...he's down the rabbit hole now :(

Without opinion as to guilt or innocence (which is certainly not my purview in any case), I can only hope that he and his are treated with fairness and respect during what augers to be a terrible ordeal.

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

• 2 months later...

Eric just plead guilty to smuggling charges: LINK

Eric just plead guilty to smuggling charges: LINK

Interestingly, he pleaded to "conspiracy for importing the Chinese flying dinosaur, entry by goods by means of false statements for importing Mongolian dinosaurs and one count of interstate and foreign transportation of goods converted and taken by fraud", which means that the prosecution likely agreed to charge on one count, rather than drop a specific charge.

Edited by THobern