Need Help Iding Barbed Tooth(?) Permian, Waurika, Oklahoma

fossiljim

Looking through Permian microfossil material from Waurika, Oklahoma - Wellington Formation, I found what appears to be a barbed tooth. I cannot find ID on this specimen on the internet and am asking for help on this one. Thank you

post-8748-0-02262200-1340218831_thumb.jpg

Are you sure its a tooth, and not the end of a pectoral or cephalic spine?

Grüße,

Daniel A. Wöhr aus Südtexas

"To the motivated go the spoils."

I really have no idea, so tooth was a guess. I have looked through a fair amount of this material and have found xenacanth, acrodus, and trimerorachis teeth, but never anything barbed like this. You think it could be some kind of spine?

It looks sort of like a stingray spine of some sort. Then again I'm not an expert on this at all and it is really small. Just throwing my opinion in there.

Nice find. I too was leaning towards stingray barb but stingrays didn't appear until the early Cretaceous (at least according to Wikipedia!).

Collecting Microfossils - a hobby concerning much about many of the little

paraphrased from Dr. Robert Kesling's book

I think it's a piece of Xenacanthus spine; the 4th pic down on this LINK is a nice match.

Our member dinodigger worked on this dig :)

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

I think it's a piece of Xenacanthus spine; the 4th pic down on this LINK is a nice match.

Our member dinodigger worked on this dig :)

Thanks. That looks like a perfect match to me. I guess the spines weren't often preserved since this is the first that I have found after finding a lot of teeth and denticles. I have found other spines without barbs, but I guess they are from fish.

'Twas Al Dente who named the whale; I just went looking for an example. ;)

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

Archived