Trilobites...as I Get Them Clean

fossiladdict

What a haul, and you're really showing off some skill with the prep work.

Do I understand correctly that the site where you collected these is no longer accessible?

Don

What a haul, and you're really showing off some skill with the prep work.

Do I understand correctly that the site where you collected these is no longer accessible?

Don

Incorrect. To expire next year though.

Fossils are simply one of the coolest things on earth--discovering them is just marvelous! Makes you all giddy inside!

Oh then you had better get busy and take all you can! No harm in that if the site is to close. But you've already got enough of them that you make them look common! (and I have none from there.. I guess people hold onto them)

It's a quarry and you have to look and look and when I go that's exactly what I do is look and look :). It's kind of like the fish quarries Wyoming. You can find the common ones but those rare ones are harder to find.

I love going and spending time with Bob as well. I'm hoping to go this next weekend again. My trips have been so beneficial when it comes to learning about trilobites. I just found my first trilobite this year (which was actually in Texas) and I have been estactic and hooked ever since!

Fossils are simply one of the coolest things on earth--discovering them is just marvelous! Makes you all giddy inside!

I loves the bugs and hope to get some when i finally map out the areas where i will prospect i live in indiana and looking for friends to go with around here. i have met a few people on here that have helped narrow the field a bit so i can make my route more productive. i hope that i can do as well on what i find as you have with these great bugs.

doc

Drhemlock, pleased to meet you, I live in southern Indiana, any chance I could come with you some time?

Yes.... Ole' Bob is as good as GOLD! My wife and I have made many trips to Black Cat MTN.

Ask him about Darryl and De. Maybe we'll see you there......... Good Hunting!

Bob has had his lease due to expire many times over the years and has so far managed to extend it. I would not sing the song of mourning just yet. Black Cat Mountain always seems to resurrect itself!

It's not....but I'm not one to give out the details yet :). Wish me luck as I'm heading out the door! Empty Pockets....CrackinRock- next time you plan to go, give me a heads up and I will try to meet up with ya!

Bob has had his lease due to expire many times over the years and has so far managed to extend it. I would not sing the song of mourning just yet. Black Cat Mountain always seems to resurrect itself!

Yes that is indeed true and talking to him at Tucson this year that seemed to be the possibility, although things are a bit tight right now with owners and lease I am hoping Bob will once again prevail!

Yes that is indeed true and talking to him at Tucson this year that seemed to be the possibility, although things are a bit tight right now with owners and lease I am hoping Bob will once again prevail!

Just check with Bob and he will give details. I am actually going to the show in 2013...kind of excited!

• 3 months later...

Lately, I've been focused on getting some fossils clean around here since we have not had any rain for quite awhile. My main focus lately has been the mosasaur jaw I found this summer, but I need a break every now and then from cleaning it so I cleaned up this Phacops to take a break. Such a cute little bug :)

post-4072-0-27487200-1354504044_thumb.jpg post-4072-0-44378000-1354504047_thumb.jpg post-4072-0-27796000-1354504050_thumb.jpg post-4072-0-59524300-1354504053_thumb.jpg post-4072-0-09952200-1354504057_thumb.jpg

I would love to go there, I could finally get my complete trilo I have been searching for. great finds and prep work!

• 3 months later...

From Saturday's trip...here is one of the Huntoniatonia heads that I kept and cleaned as well as the rolled up trilobites I picked up while walking around talking to everyone.

post-4072-0-23647700-1364263313_thumb.jpg post-4072-0-18157100-1364263322_thumb.jpg

Really nice haul for a day. Anywhere I could see the brachiopods from there?

Sure, I will pull some out and take some pictures in the next day or two. There are a few in the bowl with the rolled phacops.

From Saturday's trip...here is one of the Huntoniatonia heads that I kept and cleaned as well as the rolled up trilobites I picked up while walking around talking to everyone.

attachicon.gifIMG_3425-1.jpg attachicon.gifIMG_3427-1.jpg

That huntoniatonia head looks cool. It sorta looks like a face mask. And that's a lot of trilobites too :)

Daryl.

Hey Girl----Nice haul, one day!!!!!---Tom

Grow Old Kicking And Screaming !!
"Don't Tread On Me"

Hey Girl----Nice haul, one day!!!!!---Tom

That was not all of them...I just wanted to show everyone the rolled up ones before I go to cleaning them. I found several more that I have not even started cleaning yet.

A rainy day just means you gotta stay inside and clean some fossils. Started these two today.

This one has a Huntonia and a rolled Phacops. I've cleaned the Huntonia enough to know that he is whole but one side of his thorax is damaged. post-4072-0-24119800-1364746413_thumb.jpg

The Lichida is missing most of the spines on the one side. post-4072-0-64257400-1364746419_thumb.jpg post-4072-0-28943500-1364746423_thumb.jpg

Edited by fossiladdict