This Can't Be A Rock... Can It?

mlandroche

I know it doesn't typically look like a dinosaur fossil, but what if some were preserved once upon a time ago, like the people of Pompeii? Just a thought.

post-8838-0-23890700-1341029635_thumb.jpg

Could a giant asteroid create the same kind of ashy wave of preservation as Vesuvius? Or, Is this just a granite boulder? I also wonder if earlier man might have been sculpting or carving some of these boulders, because I see a lot of odd ones around here that I want to run out and paint so people can see what I see. I have overlayed a few with what I think they might be, and if nothing else, at least I get to color, haha... I will post those pictures very soon. I don't want to overwhelm anyone with my pics, all at one time, especially if all of them really do turn out to be just rocks. I wouldn't dare think to waste everyone's time that way. Thoughtful of me, huh? I appreciate and value all input. Thanks, in advance!

I can't tell what you're seein' there but it's hard to tell from a picture sometimes. Yeah, break out the crayons! We'll let you know when you're wasting our time :)

I think that area has weathered granite boulders. Very interesting shapes, looks like a giant piled them up, but just erosion and exfoliation at work.

If the rock is granite it could never be a fossil, granite forms deep in the earth and then is uplifted. That is why it has large crystals you can see, whereas obsidian which cools on the surface looks like glass. An asteroid would create a lot of havoc and up close would just vaporize everything. Your idea does have validation, in an episode as happened in Pompeii, anything alive animals, plants, people could be preserved in that way. I am sure there are examples of it out there but not as famous. The problem is that this ash material is not very cemented or stable to allow it to not be affected by erosion. That is why you find granite boulders out by themselves they are more resistant that the rocks around them so only the granite material is left. Same thing happens to quartz geodes, the whole unit they formed in is eroded away but the geodes remain.

As far as them being granite, I have to apologize. That was only my own uneducated assumption. I really have no clue what mineral these boulders are made of. My profile pic is from the same picture. Both are cropped from the same image. That one looks like a dragon to me. LOL. Some boulders of the same material have circles of darker gray on them (in many different sizes) and sometimes circular nubs (the dark gray circle sticks out farther). I do know these boulders can be eroded and shaped though, because it is clear on some, there is erosion. Also, there is a local spot with a maze carved into one by Native Americans, called Maze Rock, just west of Hemet, Ca. A lot of times the boulders are split and cracked from weather and time (and earthquakes, I'm sure). Not all of them are very interesting, but some just jump right out at me, prompting a photo opp. I'll try to get a few together with overlays and post them for opinions or just to entertain everyone. Haha. As for this one, it made me think of a type of ceratops head or something similar... do I have a huge imagination?

It may be a Rhyolite, which would be closer to your idea of Pompeii, but I am assuming it is igneous material, if you don’t have any of the rock on hand and get back there, take a close up and post it. I don’t get to see Igneous or metamorphic around here. It is great to see material from other places with or without fossils!!

The Gulf of California once extended as far north to around that area (Palm Springs, Indio) during the Late Miocene-Pliocene. Boulders may have been washed out/eroded by wave action. They are way too far south to have been transported by glaciers.

I know it doesn't typically look like a dinosaur fossil, but what if some were preserved once upon a time ago, like the people of Pompeii? Just a thought.

Could a giant asteroid create the same kind of ashy wave of preservation as Vesuvius? Or, Is this just a granite boulder? I also wonder if earlier man might have been sculpting or carving some of these boulders, because I see a lot of odd ones around here that I want to run out and paint so people can see what I see. I have overlayed a few with what I think they might be, and if nothing else, at least I get to color, haha... I will post those pictures very soon. I don't want to overwhelm anyone with my pics, all at one time, especially if all of them really do turn out to be just rocks. I wouldn't dare think to waste everyone's time that way. Thoughtful of me, huh? I appreciate and value all input. Thanks, in advance!

• 2 weeks later...

I have a theory in which i think their might have been a giant blue whale. If there was, , would anyone recognize the bones? I have been looking for boulder shapes that match the bones of the blue whale. that could possibly be cavity fills or fossil bones. If you see anything like that let me know.

Chris L Lesley

I have a theory in which i think their might have been a giant blue whale. If there was, , would anyone recognize the bones? I have been looking for boulder shapes that match the bones of the blue whale. that could possibly be cavity fills or fossil bones. If you see anything like that let me know.

Chris L Lesley

Uh, I think it's pretty much a boulder. I see nothing to suggest an organic origin.

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!