What Bone Is This? Very Unusual. Spine From What?

crz2uf

Hey crz2uf, your attachments are not loading for me.. Maybe try posting them in your post?

Hi,

I think that it is a fish dental palate, but it has a strange shape. I have never seen that before.

Don't forget to put the size and the origin, as well as the age if you know it. That helps to identify.

Coco

----------------------
OUTIL POUR MESURER VOS FOSSILES : ici

Ma bibliothèque PDF 1 (Poissons et sélaciens récents & fossiles) : ici
Ma bibliothèque PDF 2 (Animaux vivants - sans poissons ni sélaciens) : ici
Mâchoires sélaciennes récentes : ici
Hétérodontiques et sélaciens : ici
Oeufs sélaciens récents : ici
Otolithes de poissons récents ! ici

Un Greg...

Badges-IPFOTH.jpg.f4a8635cda47a3cc506743a8aabce700.jpg Badges-MOTM.jpg.461001e1a9db5dc29ca1c07a041a1a86.jpg

Yes, certainly a dental "crusher plate" from a fish; what kind I do not know.

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

What's the location?

" We're all puppets, I'm just a puppet who can see the strings. "

Somewhere in the Philippines, I'm guessing. That's amazing preservation for a fossil, I wonder if it may not be more recent.

I suspect it’s from a parrotfish (Scaridae family), of which there are 80 or so species in 10 genera with a fossil record extending from the Eocene. The non-fossil pic below is the Double-Headed Parrotfish (Bolbometopon muricatum) or ‘Bumphead’, which is the largest species at 4 feet plus. Most species are no bigger than 20 inches.

post-6208-0-90495400-1341396063_thumb.jpg

[image from Alan Hoeneisen’s ‘Bebinka’ website]

Parrotfish are principally algal coral-reef feeders but will eat sea grass if it’s available. The front teeth are normally coalesced into a pair of strong beak-like plates with a characteristic central dividing groove and in most species these are used for rasping algae from the coral. There are a few larger species like B. muricatum where these teeth are also used for nibbling away at the coral itself and these species have large ‘molar-like’ pharyngeal dental plates for grinding (bottom centre in the above pic). I believe that’s what we have here – from one of the larger species.

I would think it probably is fossilised but not tremendously old. Bolbometopon is certainly reported from the Indo-Pacific Upper Miocene (Smith, 1956), but normally only as plate fragments. If fossilised, that’s a really nice specimen with excellent preservation.

Edited by painshill

Roger

I keep six honest serving-men (they taught me all I knew);Their names are What and Why and When and How and Where and Who [Rudyard Kipling]

That is really cool looking!

"Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence"_ Carl Sagen

No trees were killed in this posting......however, many innocent electrons were diverted from where they originally intended to go.

" I think, therefore I collect fossils." _ Me

"When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth."__S. Holmes

"can't we all just get along?" Jack Nicholson from Mars Attacks