QUIZ -- CAN YOU ID THIS BONE ANY EASIER THAN DID I?

Harry Pristis

I had real trouble with this bone! It's not so much that it is unidentifiable, but rather I wanted it to be something other than it is.

I found this bone associated (without much contamination) with Early Miocene mammals along with some Alligator olseni and turtle bones at an underwater site in Florida. I was certain I had a rarest-of-the-rare chalicothere (Moropus sp.) ungual phalanx (claw core). (Think large horse with claws instead of hooves.)

post-42-1222461912_thumb.jpg

My specimen is incomplete, and I could never find any further traces of that individual chalicothere.

When I took this specimen to the museum to compare it with similar material, I was disappointed. The collections manager finally convinced me that the bone was not what I wanted it to be.

In the years following this experience, I found several other such "chalicothere claw cores" in places where you wouldn't expect to find chalicothere material. Though I still keep this specimen with my Early Miocene collection, I've become resigned to accepting the real source of this bone.

Can anyone here tell us what source that might be? That is, what is this bone and what animal left it behind for our confusion and amazement? Identify the bone and the taxon will be evident. Partial answers win no gold.

post-42-1222469076_thumb.jpg

http://pristis.wix.com/the-demijohn-page

What seest thou else

In the dark backward and abysm of time?

---Shakespeare, The Tempest

A bone from an Osteichthyes.

If that means that it looks "fishy", I agree.

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

If that means that it looks "fishy", I agree.

Yes that is the class or superclass for Bony Fishes.

I'm thinking it is either a pectoral fin or part of the skull, but fish have so many skull bones I haven't a clue where to start. I believe there are even bones in a fishes skull that are not named because they just have so many.

Yes that is the class or superclass for Bony Fishes.

I'm thinking it is either a pectoral fin or part of the skull, but fish have so many skull bones I haven't a clue where to start. I believe there are even bones in a fishes skull that are not named because they just have so many.

A golden kudo to Atropicallondon!

post-42-1222525513_thumb.jpg

The answer I was looking for was "a fish jaw bone."

It is, I am assured, the articular bone from a catfish lower jaw. I've rotated the image so that the bone appears in its life position. I had a hard time for a while seeing the bone from this perspective.

Next to that image is a schematic diagram of a fish cranium. The position of the articular bone ("[os] articulare") is highlighted in the diagram.

post-42-1222525344_thumb.jpgpost-42-1222525426_thumb.jpg

Thanks to all who participated!

• I found this Informative 1

http://pristis.wix.com/the-demijohn-page

What seest thou else

In the dark backward and abysm of time?

---Shakespeare, The Tempest

I had real trouble with this bone! It's not so much that it is unidentifiable, but rather I wanted it to be something other than it is.

. . .

When I took this specimen to the museum to compare it with similar material, I was disappointed. The collections manager finally convinced me that the bone was not what I wanted it to be.

Seems to be an instance of Stedman's Razor (which I apply to my fossils to keep me honest):

"When there is a doubt as to the identity of a fossil, the true identity is certainly NOT what you hoped it would be."

Besides fossils,

I collect roadcuts,

Stream beds,

Winter beaches:

Places of pilgrimage.

Jasper Burns, Fossil Dreams

Well done, "A"!

Thanks! I knew it was fishy, I find so many of these fragments along C. Cliffs. I was going to say dentary of the skull but it didn't look quite right, no place for teeth. Articular looks like a much better match.

Thanks Harry; another great exercise! I really enjoy the mental floss. ;)

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!