Petrified Wood - Triassic Newark Supergroup - New Site In Pa

traveltip1

I found more petrified (silicified) wood at a new site in the Triassic Newark Supergroup of S.E. Pennsylvania. Almost all specimens show good grain patterns and are a nice dark chocolate color. Yummy.

Attached is a photo of the larger specimens that I collected. The scale bar is 4 inches.

(I have posted other similar pet wood photos in previous topics.)

post-7248-0-31914400-1341066169_thumb.jpg

Edited by traveltip1

wow, some great specimens!!! Im new to the Newark Supergroup and will be heading to one of the sites on the Jersey side of the river in 2 weeks hope I find something half as nice as that petrified wood ;)

Wow, those are some nice pieces indeed. Even though I live in the middle of Newark Supergroup rocks I've never really gotten into collecting in them.

-Dave

Geologists on the whole are inconsistent drivers. When a roadcut presents itself, they tend to lurch and weave. To them, the roadcut is a portal, a fragment of a regional story, a proscenium arch that leads their imaginations into the earth and through the surrounding terrain. - John McPhee

If I'm going to drive safely, I can't do geology. - John McPhee

Check out my Blog for more fossils I've found: http://viewsofthemahantango.blogspot.com/