Triassic Fossil Skin (Not) - Pennsylvania

hitekmastr

We found these fossils in a Triassic formation in Pennsylvania and they look like fossil skin - as you can see, the two separate specimens that are smooth and shiny with some texture - plus one end view which could show fossilized blood vessels.

UPDATE: The early opinion seems to be that these are trace fossils, possibly algae, but not "skin."

This is a GREAT example of how "false fossils" can be so confusing - and another reason to celebrate the Internet for putting so many professional and amateur paleo-enthusiasts online to sort out these issues!!!

post-8709-0-45193300-1341203378_thumb.jpg

post-8709-0-39674900-1341203429_thumb.jpg

post-8709-0-98457000-1341203468_thumb.jpg

I can say with absolute certainty, that's not a Triassic skin impression. The Triassic/Jurassic formations (Lockatong and Passaic) are covered with that type anomaly. I believe they're the results of algae mats or the like. The "blood vessels" are inclusions in the mud stone.

I can say with absolute certainty, that's not a Triassic skin impression. The Triassic/Jurassic formations (Lockatong and Passaic) are covered with that type anomaly. I believe they're the results of algae mats or the like. The "blood vessels" are inclusions in the mud stone.

Thanks for the clarification - much appreciated!

Archived