Kehbe

It has been awfully hot here lately so I haven't been hunting as much as I like but I did stop the other day on my way home from work at my Pennsylvanian, Winterset 'Honey Hole', Jackson county Missouri, and found this really nice Bryozoan fan. The presevation and detail is exquisite! :drool: I thought it was whole when I spied it lying there but as soon as I touched it it split. You can see the crack in the lower right area and I am wondering what the best adhesive would be to repair it or better to leave it as is. As for I.D. I am thinking Fenestella. Another possibility could be Septopora but the way this specimen branches is not so uniform as the other Septopora I have found. Anyways, I thought you all would enjoy looking at it and I am open to suggestions as to a more specific I.D. Thanks for looking!

pic 1 post-7046-0-31377100-1341307497_thumb.jpg pic 2 post-7046-0-77189000-1341307509_thumb.jpg

Edited by Kehbe

It is not the strongest of the species that survives, nor the most intelligent that survives. It is the one that is the most adaptable to change.

Charles Darwin

AWesome whatever it is :D

Fossil Foilist
-----)----------------------

Thick super glue would probably be best for repair. I've been attempting to ID bryozoans to at least the genus and it can be complicated. If you magnify the specimen can you see the pores? If not then they are on the other side and you might want to look for similar specimens that expose the other side. The arrangement of the pores is part of the ID.

What I learned to look for is:

size of stems versus crossbars

shape of stems and cross bars, round, flattened, look for keels on some

allignment of crossbars, regular, random, perpendicular or angled to stems

shape of gussets where these connect, openings form ovals, rectangles or squares

arrangement of pores: on stems only, on both stems and crossbars, random, lined up in rows, etc.

size (you can find two specimens that for all purposes are exactly the same but one is half the size of the other)

I work from Index Fossil of NA (1940?), Moore's Invertebrate Fossils (1952), A few old editions of the Treatise on Invertebrate Paleontology and whatever publications I have on the formation or region.

I still feel really lucky when I think I can put a "Genus" to a bryozoan specimen. And I have a serious backlog of bryozoans to work on.

OH and before I forget: WHAT A NICE SPECIMEN! These always seem to be just scraps. It would have made my day.

Real nice specimen! I would go with Fenestella also. Clear hair spray will help it stay together, or allow thin super glue to penetrate the cracks and seal it. Putting waxed paper under it will help prevent glueing it to your table top. :)

Edited by Herb

"Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence"_ Carl Sagen

No trees were killed in this posting......however, many innocent electrons were diverted from where they originally intended to go.

" I think, therefore I collect fossils." _ Me

"When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth."__S. Holmes

"can't we all just get along?" Jack Nicholson from Mars Attacks

I'm not 'sure' about fenestrate bryozoan genera anymore.

I thought it might be Septopora, but the ones I have (labeled as Septopora) have chevron-like crossbars.

A Treatise check is in order....

Context is critical.

Nice looking piece! :wub: It looks like an encrusting bryozoan is on it, too!

I'm not 'sure' about fenestrate bryozoan genera anymore.

I thought it might be Septopora, but the ones I have (labeled as Septopora) have chevron-like crossbars.

A Treatise check is in order....

Can you explain (without going over my head)? :wacko:

Steve

I just have to say beautiful! I agree with Herb, Fenestella, yep. :)

Process of identification "mistakes create wisdom".

Can you explain (without going over my head)? :wacko:

Basically, I have a bunch of no-name rocks in a box. :)

Speaking of 'chevron-shaped crossbars', they are somewhat similar to this:

post-6808-0-82013000-1341360753_thumb.jpg

(Ramipora malecki)

Context is critical.

Basically, I have a bunch of no-name rocks in a box. :)

Speaking of 'chevron-shaped crossbars', they are somewhat similar to this:

post-6808-0-82013000-1341360753_thumb.jpg

(Ramipora malecki)

Nice specimen, you have at least 2 species of bryo's on the rock

No trees were killed in this posting......however, many innocent electrons were diverted from where they originally intended to go.

"When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth."__S. Holmes

Nice specimen, you have at least 2 species of bryo's on the rock

Actually, I snagged that from the interwebs. :blush:

I do have a number of fenestrates to show, but I'll have to wait until I can get to the specimens, camera and sunlight. :)

Context is critical.

Could someone tell me how I can upload an image. I also have a Bryozoan that I think is Fenestella but I am unable to figure out how to post the image. I am new to the forum, so it may be a feature I am not yet permitted to use. I don't have a website to link a URL. The one I want to upload is from my yard.

Paleo_C,

When you are in the 'reply' editor, in the lower right hand corner is a 'More Reply Options' button. Click it and you will then see at the bottom a button to attach files. Total limit is 2 mb. That can be one picture 2 mb or 4 pictures at 500K each. I have found that around 1500 X 1500 pixel uploads nicely and is big enough to show good detail. Blurry pictures are not much help in terms of ID'ing and make sure and include location information for your find! Welcome to The Fossil Forum and I'm looking forward to seeing your bryo's :)

It is not the strongest of the species that survives, nor the most intelligent that survives. It is the one that is the most adaptable to change.

Charles Darwin

Thanks Kehbe. I think this will work. Any help with identification will be greatly appreciated. Dug down deep to put in a tornado shelter. We live on the side of a hill, so the depth was ~18 feet lower than house level and went through all kinds of layers. We have limestone, sandstone, some harder rocks, etc. post-8867-0-19890000-1341371489_thumb.jpgpost-8867-0-45025300-1341371493_thumb.jpg

So I am really a newby here. I think our region is at a Mississipian level.

Wow Paleo_C,

I love the red color in those rocks. I didn't catch exactly where you are from except North Alabama. I am still learning about the stratigraphy of my local area and am not familiar at all with Alabama but I did find this interesting article. http://www.gsa.alabama.gov/documents/pubs/onlinepubs/Circulars/C140.pdf Don't have time to read it tonight though! ;) Anyways, in pic 1 it looks like I see a spirifer brach in there too. Nice bryozoans and surely someone with more knowledge than me will chime in soon! Good job on the pics and remember to include a ruler or something recognizable in the photos for scale or actual dimensions! Nice stuff! How much of this layer is exposed?

Edited by Kehbe

Charles Darwin

Thanks Ameenah and Kehbe. Kehbe - post-8867-0-22620200-1341374643_thumb.jpgNone of the layer is exposed. All the stuff was lifted out with a backhoe to put in an underground tornado shelter. Had two close calls with F4 tornados. They clear away the ground, so underground is the best way if you don't think you will have a water problem. Since we are on a hillside, we went downward with the excavation. I have these rocks all over my yard as we kept the dirt to level our yard a bit. I have thin black layers too that contain - I think - plant material. When I crack them open along the black lines I have found some leaf-like things. But of course these are in different layers. I wish I had known in advance and could have at least documented the layers. Trying to save what I can now.

Ha!! :):rofl::) I worked in Lanett Alabama years ago for about a year and I remember now why the rocks are so red!!! That dirt stains clothes! ;)

Charles Darwin

Thanks Kehbe. I think this will work. Any help with identification will be greatly appreciated. Dug down deep to put in a tornado shelter. We live on the side of a hill, so the depth was ~18 feet lower than house level and went through all kinds of layers. We have limestone, sandstone, some harder rocks, etc. post-8867-0-19890000-1341371489_thumb.jpgpost-8867-0-45025300-1341371493_thumb.jpg

So I am really a newby here. I think our region is at a Mississipian level.

Those look amazingly identical to a Mississippian (time period) exposure that I recently hunted!

http://www.thefossil...p-back-in-time/

Edited by Bullsnake

Steve

Putting waxed paper under it will help prevent glueing it to your table top. :)

Ha ha, that is some invaluable wisdom, there. I have anecdote, but it is not appropos, here.

2012 NCAA Collegiate Round Ball Champs; and in '98, '96, '78, 58, '51, '49, and '48, too.

The best thing that I have found that superglue holds tohether is fingers. :blush:

• 1 month later...

Another interesting bryozoan fan I found recently. Not preserved the very best but looks neat anyways! A little larger 'cells' on this one and more consisently rectangular!. I haven't had a chance to do much looking for an ID yet but as always, love the input! From the Pennsylvanian Oolitic Winterset Limestone, Jackson county Kansas City, Missouri. Thanks for looking! :)

pic1 post-7046-0-97225300-1345405361_thumb.jpg

pic2 post-7046-0-23326800-1345405455_thumb.jpg

Charles Darwin

Polypora

It could be. Need to see the zooecia. Polypora is named because there will be many (poly) pores all over the stems and often the cross branches as well. But the zooecia will only be on one side so you either need another specimen preserved pores up or are willing to pop a small section up and take a look.