Kansas Day Trip

PetrolPete

Well with tomorrow being the fourth of July, I get a day off from work, and, I thought what better way to celebrate our countries independence than by digging around in the rocks our country was built on. Then, there is also the fact that I've made it up to the niobrara chalk area on business trips twice in the last two weeks, only to anxiously grind my teeth as we drove by, so I've been itching to get out and dig around somewhere.

With all that being said, I know it's really last minute (sorry, I've been very busy lately), but I was wondering if anyone had a suggestion for a good day trip, within a 3 1/2 hr drive out of Wichita, or for that matter, if anyone was wanting to meet somewhere and go fossil hunting.

I've already gone on the southeastern Kansas field trip on geokansas, and I don't think I'm up for the drive out to the chalk this time, but other than that, I'm up for anything in reason. So, any suggestions or any takers on the meet-up?

Thanks again everyone for your help, I really appreciate it.

No, but if you get to Louisville,KY give me a shout.

"Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence"_ Carl Sagen

No trees were killed in this posting......however, many innocent electrons were diverted from where they originally intended to go.

" I think, therefore I collect fossils." _ Me

"When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth."__S. Holmes

"can't we all just get along?" Jack Nicholson from Mars Attacks

No, but if you get to Louisville,KY give me a shout.

Thanks, I might have to take you up on that some time in the future.

For this trip I ended up going to Kansas City for the day after a suggestion from grokfish. I hunted in some muncie creek shale and some winterset limestone that outcropped at a couple locations he pointed out to me. Unfortunately it was so hot ( I saw up to 107F) that my energy drained quickly(I'm pretty sure I ran out of sweat by early afternoon), so I couldn't do much digging in the shale, mostly just surface collecting, but I still had some good finds. I found a number of concretions, many brachiopods, a lot of orbi's, bryzoans (some really big), and some crinoid material. After seeing what Missourian's concretions had inside them, I'm looking forward to seeing what are in mine when they pop.

Regrettably, I ended up not being able to meet up with grokfish to hunt any due to scheduling conflicts, but I'm still very thankful to him for pointing out some good locations.

I should get some pictures posted soon.

Also; when I was out digging in the shale, someone stopped by and suggested a good place to find ammonites and then suggested to clean them with muratic acid, and I had meant to ask but didn't get the chance, but was he one of the forum members? And if you are, I was wanting to thank you for the suggestion, but unfortunately I'm not too familiar with that area, so I wasn't able to find the location you pointed me to.