Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
esnoel

Help Identifying Fossil

9 posts in this topic

I found this fossil on a beach on the Gulf Coast and I believe it is part of a crab. In relation to it's size (sorry for not including a comparison) it is slightly smaller than a penny.

fossil1.png

fossil2.png

Anybody else have an idea?

Evan

Hi,

It is a palatine teeth fish. I don't remember its name...

Coco

Looks kind of like a puffer or parrot fish mouth plate, maybe.

I just looked up some images of puffer fish mouth plates and I think you are correct.

161053_FossilPufferFishMouthPlates.JPG

Thanks for helping me identify this thing, I was totally wrong, but glad I know what it is now!

Evan

I just looked up some images of puffer fish mouth plates and I think you are correct.

Thanks for helping me identify this thing, I was totally wrong, but glad I know what it is now!

Evan

You have a nice one. I do alot of beach hunting and have not found one. :)

Well thank you! I found it after debby came through. It seems our beach has a lot of small shards of turtle shell, but that mouth plate is the neatest think I found on the beach so far. I'll have to keep searching. The Peace has produced a lot of really interesting and unique fossils (at least for me).

Well thank you! I found it after debby came through. It seems our beach has a lot of small shards of turtle shell, but that mouth plate is the neatest think I found on the beach so far. I'll have to keep searching. The Peace has produced a lot of really interesting and unique fossils (at least for me).

I wish I could have trolled the beach in Fl after the storm. Also, there are so awesome shell pits down your way. Share some of your fossils pics, we all like seeing finds. :)

I just posted in the Fossil ID forum section with some finds I got in the Peace. Here is a picture with the unique fossils I found.

fos8223.png

Edited by esnoel

Evan

Nice colors! B) B) B):)