Porpoise tooth?

Pool Man

Hello all,

I've got a new find,and its a first for me.I think its a porpoise/dolphin tooth. I found it at a Pliocene site that seems to be all marine deposits. I've found a couple megs it the same area, and there are numerous broken whale verts around.

post-148-1222563078_thumb.jpg post-148-1222563084_thumb.jpg

post-148-1222563168_thumb.jpg

1 7/8" slant

post-148-1222563178_thumb.jpg

2 3/8" slant

Thanks for looking!

Dan

Wicked colors from that site :wub:

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

Thanks guys. This site has some great colors. Lots of browns and almost redish teeth. Its kind of a unique site.

post-148-1222564007_thumb.jpg

The Vert in the uper right is the same size as a quarter.

...Its kind of a unique site.

Can you elaborate on that (without giving the site away)?

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

Guest bmorefossil
This stuff is coming from piles of dirt,in a field, that came from a lake dig.Nice dry land hunting.

i guess im wrong, is it a new site?

Its fairly new to me, only been for a total of about 8 hrs. Heard about it through a friend. I will probably make it public once I can finally get back in my creek. I was there today and the water is finally down a couple feet.

That does remind me of one of the front seal teeth, is that the placement you were thinking bmore? What our the tides looking like for tomorrow? I will be out there anyway before I head towards DC, just wondering what to expect.

Those are some nice looking teeth you have Pool Man.

Guest bmorefossil
That does remind me of one of the front seal teeth, is that the placement you were thinking bmore? What our the tides looking like for tomorrow? I will be out there anyway before I head towards DC, just wondering what to expect.

Those are some nice looking teeth you have Pool Man.

yup thats what i was thinking, the tides are still a little high but will be droping until late tomorrow night

Guest bmorefossil

well it doesnt matter for us anyway, i dont think we will be going, watch someone find a 5" meg at pp just because of that, i wanted to get back down to check on the skeleton but that will have to wait

Its probably a delphinid tooth. Its definitely not a seal incisor - those have a very different shape to them.

Bobby

• I found this Informative 1

Guest bmorefossil
Its probably a delphinid tooth. Its definitely not a seal incisor - those have a very different shape to them.

Bobby

ok thanks boesse, i have just seen teeth that were called seal that looked like this

Ya, no problem. If the "seal" teeth looked anything like that, I guarantee that they were misidentified cetacean teeth.

Bobby