Coral or rock?

Guest mrmontgom

Guest mrmontgom

Found these on an outcropping of limestone. At first I thought the long skinny ones were some type of coral, but then I found the oblong 'rocks' that don't appear to have been broken off. Any clues? Thanks.

I don't see any coral structure in any of them, no septal of calyx structure. They could be concretions or casts of some type of burrow.

JKFoam

The Eocene is my favorite

Probably concretions/burrow casts/coprolites. You could try cutting & polishing one to look for structure.

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

Associated with the limestone, they could be limonite or degraded pyrite nodules. I see similar nodules in Texas limestone outcrops.

The human mind has the ability to believe anything is true.  -  JJ

I agree with JohnJ about the degraded pyrite nodules. I have collected some in Texas that look just like that.

Where did you get them?

Guest mrmontgom

Whitewright, Tx (Grayson County). Just walking around and they were laying on the surface. Is that any indication of what might be found underground?

Whitewright, Tx (Grayson County). Just walking around and they were laying on the surface. Is that any indication of what might be found underground?

Possibly. The ones I have came from Midlothian, TX. They were found along with some pretty good chunks of pyrite. Some on the surface and some came out of the matrix with the phosphate and the shark teeth in that area from the cement plants. Don't know where all of that formation sticks out around there, but I might keep my eyes peeled for some possible teeth or other stuff. The "good" pyrite I found is not usually shiny until cleaned, but has a purple or green patina to it. I have also found pyrite (or maybe marcasite) in the NSR.