fossil,what is it

keith

This is a fossil that i recently found and would like to know if someone could identify it for me.I know nothing when it come to fossils,or identifying them,but would like to learn.Maybe someone here could help.post-808-1222644813_thumb.jpgpost-808-1222644921_thumb.jpg

If you could make the pictures smaller. More people will be able to help. Those are very large files and take a long time to load, especially on dial up.

Keith:

Please check the "Pinned" topic started by Anson under the Fossil ID section of the Forum. Here you will see helpful suggestions re requests for fossil identification. The Forum has some incredibly knowledgeable collectors who will bend over backwards to help you ID a fossil if they have some background information.

Welcome to the Forum :D:D

At a quick glance I'd go with horn corals as well based on the radial symmetry and Paleozoic looking limestone.

Grüße,

Daniel A. Wöhr aus Südtexas

"To the motivated go the spoils."

Thanks to all,i have other pic,of other fossils to post,maybe next week if thats ok.I have a 13 year old son that will enjoy reading everyones comments when he gets home.Thanks again,Keith

Guest solius symbiosus

With so little information, I'm going to go out on a limb. I don't think it is a horn coral. I'm thinking it is the disarticulated corallites of the rugosid Lithostrotion.

Guest Nicholas
With so little information, I'm going to go out on a limb. I don't think it is a horn coral. I'm thinking it is the disarticulated corallites of the rugosid Lithostrotion.

I would put Solius' opinion higher than mine, he's very well read in fossils.

After just visiting the falls of ohio, and learning so much about corals, i think you may be onto something here Solius... more information is needed on age location ect..

"Turn the fear of the unknown into the excitment of possibility!"

We dont stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing.

Mr Moderator,when you say that more information is needed,is this informationthat i can get,and how do i get it?The only thing i can tell you is i picked it up on a creek bank here in south Mississippi.Thanks for all the help.

Yeah Solius is somewhat of an authority here on inverts similar to this, so if he and I tell you 2 different things, he may very well be correct.

Grüße,

Daniel A. Wöhr aus Südtexas

"To the motivated go the spoils."

Mr Moderator,when you say that more information is needed,is this informationthat i can get,and how do i get it?The only thing i can tell you is i picked it up on a creek bank here in south Mississippi.Thanks for all the help.

Knowing the age of the item is often a very important clue as to what it is. The more specific the location of the find, the better to identify the geological formation, and thus the age (as well as the likely faunal list). Even "S. MS." is a help. :)

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

Guest solius symbiosus
Yeah Solius is somewhat of an authority here on inverts similar to this, so if he and I tell you 2 different things, he may very well be correct.

I could very easily be wrong. It is hard to tell from a pic, but I've seen similar stuff in Mississippian rocks that were what I mentioned.

EDIT: Looking at the generalized geologic map of Mississippi, it appears that the only Paleozoic stuff in Mississippi is found in the extreme N.E. corner of the state. So, either this thing washed down from up North, or I am wrong.

Keith, the location or approximate location of where a fossil was found can be very helpful in determining an identification. In this case, finding out that the fossil was found in South Mississippi can tell us that the fossil is not paleozoic and is a sclaractinian coral (Order Sclaractinia).

JKFoam

The Eocene is my favorite