Shark Or Fish Teeth?

fossiladdict

I found this today (Grayson County, Texas) and have never found anything like it. Someone help me figure out what these are from.

post-4072-0-90301800-1341890648_thumb.jpg

post-4072-0-54101600-1341890652_thumb.jpg

post-4072-0-75698800-1341890655_thumb.jpg

post-4072-0-48231000-1341890660_thumb.jpg

post-4072-0-77830300-1341890664_thumb.jpg

post-4072-0-08364100-1341890668_thumb.jpg

Fossils are simply one of the coolest things on earth--discovering them is just marvelous! Makes you all giddy inside!

Very interesting fossil. The teeth are embedded in bone so that will rule out shark or ray. Beyond that I have no idea.

The length is about 1 1/8" and the height is a little over 1/2".

Added: And each tooth is a little over 1/2" wide.

Edited by fossiladdict

Fossils are simply one of the coolest things on earth--discovering them is just marvelous! Makes you all giddy inside!

This is a wild looking set of teeth, hope someone can ID them, very interesting---Tom

Grow Old Kicking And Screaming !!
"Don't Tread On Me"

The only thing these bring to my mind (and only because they are leaf-like, overlapping, chopping "blades"), are Ankylosaur teeth. I don't mean to suggest that this is what they are; only that the critter may have processed food in a similar fashion.

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

I'm open to all suggestions because I have no clue at all.

Questions:

1. What formation?

2. What type of environment (e.g. marine or terrestrial, etc)

3. Any associated organisms?

Observations & guesses:

1. The crown on these makes me think more 'mid-level-marine-predator' than 'land-based-plant-eater'

2. The close proximity and smoothness of these two teeth seems remeniscent of some kind of 'mouth plate' or 'pavement teeth'

3. Bottom-dwelling scavenger?

4. shell crusher of some sort?

Edited by Mr. Edonihce

scale in avatar is millimeters

Come visit Sandi, the 'Fossil Journey Cruiser'

WIPS (the Western Interior Paleontological Society - http://www.westernpaleo.org)

"Being genetically cursed with an almost inhuman sense of curiosity and wonder, I'm hard-wired to investigate even the most unlikely, uninteresting (to others anyway) and irrelevant details; often asking hypothetical questions from many angles in an attempt to understand something more thoroughly."

-- Mr. Edonihce

...The teeth are embedded in bone so that will rule out shark or ray...

I would like to reinforce that we might want to rule out the whole of class Chondrichthyes; these teeth are set in bone, not cartilage.

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

I would like to reinforce that we might want to rule out the whole of class Chondrichthyes; these teeth are set in bone, not cartilage.

Doh! :P

Absolutely. Editing my last post now.

I noticed that when I first looked at the photos, but then totally forgot by the time I got around to writing some comments....

WIPS (the Western Interior Paleontological Society - http://www.westernpaleo.org)

"Being genetically cursed with an almost inhuman sense of curiosity and wonder, I'm hard-wired to investigate even the most unlikely, uninteresting (to others anyway) and irrelevant details; often asking hypothetical questions from many angles in an attempt to understand something more thoroughly."

-- Mr. Edonihce

What formation?- Grayson County consists primarily of Cretaceous material and you can view the geology at http://www.scribd.com/doc/14851927/Geology-of-Grayson-County-Texas-UT-Bulletin-3225. It it hard to say what type of environment, because both marine and land fossils are found in the area. I don't know any associated organisms because the fossils found vary from sharks teeth to bison teeth etc. and I don't know what these are to be able to point it one way or the other.

I looked through various books, and cannot find these, unless I'm looking in the wrong place because I've been primarily looking under marine fossils as that is what I find the most of in the general area. I'm at a complete loss.

But I will say this....they are pretty darn cool! :D

I have been doing online searches of shark, fish, and dinos all morning.. I have had no

luck so far.. Whatever they are, just fantastic!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :popcorn:

(added)

So shark and ray are ruled out.. It just sunk in from above..

I am betting on some type of dinosaur then. :envy:

Welcome to the forum!

I can't wait to see what this ends up being! They are wicked looking teeth. Never seen anything like that.

Maybe Petalodus? I'm prbly wrong tho

If they were Petalodus, it would be an exceptional piece.

They are pretty cool looking, whatever they are.

Context is critical.

Along with Auspex, my first impression was ankylosaur/nodosaur. Great find, whatever it may be!

Edited by non-remanié

---Wie Wasser schleift den Stein, wir steigen und fallen---

Those are some very cool teeth. If they were not in bone, I would wonder if they were some type of Heterodontus. They are exceptional teeth and like the others I am looking forward to finding out what they are. Congratulations!!

Bulldozers and dirt Bulldozers and dirt
behind the trailer, my desert
Them red clay piles are heaven on earth
I get my rocks off, bulldozers and dirt

Patterson Hood; Drive-By Truckers

image.png.0c956e87cee523facebb6947cb34e842.png May 2016  MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png.a47e14d65deb3f8b242019b3a81d8160.png.b42a25e3438348310ba19ce6852f50c1.png May 2012 IPFOTM5.png.fb4f2a268e315c58c5980ed865b39e1f.png.1721b8912c45105152ac70b0ae8303c3.png.2b6263683ee32421d97e7fa481bd418a.pngAug 2013, May 2016, Apr 2020 VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png.af5065d0585e85f4accd8b291bf0cc2e.png.72a83362710033c9bdc8510be7454b66.png.9171036128e7f95de57b6a0f03c491da.png Oct 2022

Going back to fish....

http://www.oceansofkansas.com/pycnodont.html

http://uam.academia.edu/FranciscoJos%C3%A9PoyatoAriza/Papers/1467723/Pycnodont_fishes_morphologic_variation_ecomorphologic_plasticity_and_a_new_interpretation_of_their_evolutionary_history

Do any of them look similar to you? I had a good fossil friend state that it was perhaps a type of pycnodont so I'm looking into those a little more. I have other variations of pycnodont from the same general locations.

Not having collected the area and having seen only Albian-age (late part of the Early Cretaceous) and Cenomanian-age (early part of the Late Cretaceous) from Grayson County, I am going to start there. If they are teeth, they are unusual in that they are not positioned edge-to-edge along what appears to be their width. They do resemble nurse shark teeth (Ginglymostoma-like forms) but nurse sharks of that form did not appear until several million years later in the Late Cretaceous (and they aren't shark teeth as Auspex noted). It is reasonable to consider that other fishes may have adopted similar teeth before nurse sharks went in that dental direction.

This brings me back to the odd alignment of the proposed teeth which does remind me of pterygoidal teeth in mosasaurs (and other reptiles) and leads me toward your pycnodont suggestion, those fishes having born teeth on the vomers (bones on the roof of the mouth). I have probably seen more Eocene pycnodont teeth than Cretaceous ones but the younger ones seem to have about the same shape. I would assume that Early Cretaceous genera had more of a range of tooth shape, so if I were to guess based on these shaky grounds, I would say it's a piece of pycnodont vomer.

Without stratigraphic certainty, I would have to offer a terrestrial guess as well. If pressed for one, I would say some weird lizard or other reptile but not a dinosaur. I was wondering if it could be a piece of armor too (unusual bone surface).

What formation?- Grayson County consists primarily of Cretaceous material and you can view the geology at http://www.scribd.co...T-Bulletin-3225. It it hard to say what type of environment, because both marine and land fossils are found in the area. I don't know any associated organisms because the fossils found vary from sharks teeth to bison teeth etc. and I don't know what these are to be able to point it one way or the other.

I looked through various books, and cannot find these, unless I'm looking in the wrong place because I've been primarily looking under marine fossils as that is what I find the most of in the general area. I'm at a complete loss.

But I will say this....they are pretty darn cool! :D

Going back to fish....

http://www.oceansofk.../pycnodont.html

http://uam.academia....tionary_history

Do any of them look similar to you? I had a good fossil friend state that it was perhaps a type of pycnodont so I'm looking into those a little more. I have other variations of pycnodont from the same general locations.

That's what I was hinting at when I mentioned "'mouth plate' or 'pavement teeth'".

Though the tooth shapes in the specimen examples I've looked at so far don't appear to include ones with quite the same kind of characteristics as yours, siteseer's point about the likelihood of earlier generations possibly having been more diverse enters in. It may well be that these are from an as yet undocumented pycnodontid.....or at least one that is burried away in a journal somewhere that none of us has come across yet.

-- Mr. Edonihce

:popcorn: You might have found a one of a kind find! Can't wait to hear what it is.

In formal logic, a contradiction is the signal of defeat: but in the evolution of real knowledge, it marks the first step in progress toward victory.

Alfred North Whithead

'Don't worry about the world coming to an end today. It's already tomorrow in Australia!'

Definitely not ankylosaur. They look very much like pycnodont teeth I've seen from the Late Cretaceous Mancos Shale of Utah.

So this is the closest that I have came to perhaps identifying it as some type of pycnodont. http://www.scribd.com/doc/7057297/18Cumbaaetal18

I'm having a hard time figuring out whether those teeth are actually grinding teeth or not though...thoughts?