Shark Or Fish Teeth?

fossiladdict

They appear to be the cutting (incisor) teeth from a pycnodont-like fish called Hadrodus. Not 100% sure, but that's the conclusion thus far.

Thanks Roz for giving me contact info for Mike.

Fossils are simply one of the coolest things on earth--discovering them is just marvelous! Makes you all giddy inside!

You are welcome, Lyla.. If it is Hadrodus, I am thinking a new one then.

At what point does it become pretty sure that it's a new one and things

can proceed from there? Does anyone know? I am not sure how

that would work in this case..

Welcome to the forum!

What is the nearest museum with comparative material in their collections?

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

What is the nearest museum with comparative material in their collections?

That's a good question- Mike is out of Kansas and was comparing to finds from Kansas. I'm in an area where there's not a lot of studying going on other than size comparison (correct me if I'm wrong folks). Dallas has their museums, but I'm not sure they would have studies from my area. Kansas has some of the same formations etc. so it's comparable.

Fossils are simply one of the coolest things on earth--discovering them is just marvelous! Makes you all giddy inside!

excited about this thread.hopefully we'll have is soon.

Today's the day!

Mel Fisher

I'd doubt Hadrodus because, as I understand it, Hadrodus is known from its brachial rather than oral teeth and the ones in question are definitely oral. Since Hadrodus is a pycnodont and the posted teeth also seem to be, the oral teeth would likely look pretty similar - it's just that I don't think Hadrodus oral teeth have definitely been described.

Try contacting Jürgen Kriwet (Vienna, Austria) - he's a pycnodont expert: http://www.fish-rese...t_Lab/Home.html

Also, try Kenshu Shimada (Chicago, IL) - he has worked on fossil sharks of the Mancos Shale and has written up pycnodont teeth like these: http://csh.depaul.ed...es/shimada.aspx

Carl:

Thanks for the info- I have emailed them both to see if they may have any ideas.

• 2 weeks later...

Well I'm still trying to figure out what these teeth belong to. The gentleman from Austria doesn't think they are pycnodont teeth either and does not have a clue to date. I have not heard back from the gentleman from IL. Anyone else have any suggestions as to who I might contact?

You might look for Jean-Pierre Biddle, a French paleontologist with an interest in Albian-age fossils.

Well I'm still trying to figure out what these teeth belong to. The gentleman from Austria doesn't think they are pycnodont teeth either and does not have a clue to date. I have not heard back from the gentleman from IL. Anyone else have any suggestions as to who I might contact?

I can't find any contact info on Jean-Pierre Biddle.

Jean-Pierre had his own forum on which he put his works, but it is not on-line any more for several years. I met him once at least 5 years ago, and I don't know what he became since.

Coco

----------------------
OUTIL POUR MESURER VOS FOSSILES : ici

Ma bibliothèque PDF 1 (Poissons et sélaciens récents & fossiles) : ici
Ma bibliothèque PDF 2 (Animaux vivants - sans poissons ni sélaciens) : ici
Mâchoires sélaciennes récentes : ici
Hétérodontiques et sélaciens : ici
Oeufs sélaciens récents : ici
Otolithes de poissons récents ! ici

Un Greg...

Badges-IPFOTH.jpg.f4a8635cda47a3cc506743a8aabce700.jpg Badges-MOTM.jpg.461001e1a9db5dc29ca1c07a041a1a86.jpg

What an amazing find! Please keep posting as you learn more. I have never seen anything like it.

Jon

"Silence is Golden, but duct tape is Silver."

• 3 weeks later...

Well so far everyone I have contacted has no clue (or has not responded). Anyone else have any contacts?

Well so far everyone I have contacted has no clue (or has not responded). Anyone else have any contacts?

Lyla,

Have you tried John G. Maiseyat the AMNH?

I believe Roz and Bobwill had luck contacting him.

Hope this is helpful.

Regards,

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

Lyla,

Have you tried John G. Maiseyat the AMNH?

I believe Roz and Bobwill had luck contacting him.

Hope this is helpful.

Regards,

I did now, thanks!

I just realized that your teeth look kind of like the Pharyngeal teeth I have from a grass carp. I don't know how long pharyngeal teeth have been around, but I think most of the minnow family have them.

(By "your teeth" I mean the teeth you found :P )

Ramo

post-40-0-20273400-1345575138_thumb.jpg

For one species to mourn the death of another is a new thing under the sun.
-Aldo Leopold

I just realized that your teeth look kind of like the Pharyngeal teeth I have from a grass carp. I don't know how long pharyngeal teeth have been around, but I think most of the minnow family have them.

Ramo

Hey I have some of those too :)post-4072-0-51102500-1345594359_thumb.jpg

Kind of similar but not so similar if that makes sense as there's really no ridges on the ones I found. John Maisey didn't have a clue. I will try to contact Dr. Schultze.

Ramo

I have some, also. Gave them to my son, though.

That seemed plausible to me, too. It actually crossed my mind before, but I wasn't confident enough to post it.

Steve

Dr. Schultze didn't know either and he shared with another who didn't have a clue. They suggested perhaps Multituberculates but didn't like the layout of the teeth.

Does anyone have contact for Ann Weil in Oklahoma? I found her contact info...

I would have to strongly disagree with multituberculate.

I agree...Ann said they were not. She again mentioned pycnodont. I have sent the pictures to a ton of individuals. Pycnodont is the one that people keep mentioning.

If no one knows what it is, it must be a rudist!

Whut?

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

Archived