Trace Fossil?

pleft

Looks like the trace of some kind of worm to my uneducated eye - any ideas?

Found near Mahurangi, New Zealand. I believe the stratified cliffs there are limestone.

Thanks!

post-9007-0-91821400-1342043942_thumb.jpg

Edited by pleft

Casts of serpulid worm tubes maybe?

Roger

I keep six honest serving-men (they taught me all I knew);Their names are What and Why and When and How and Where and Who [Rudyard Kipling]

Casts of serpulid worm tubes maybe?

Serpulids (Tube worms like the feather dusters) leave shell material behind. These are most likely feeding traces. They wander about gathering up all the good bits in the sediment. They could have been any of a number of critters.

I think they are, as you suspect, in-filled burrows, since the material is the same within and without their forms.

It's an attractive ichnofossil; the pattern is fascinating!

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

Yes, I agree they look like infilled burrows or tracks. They don't appear to have any 'casing' such as a tube-worm might leave.

In an online field guide I found the following:

Mahurangi Limestone

Portland Quarry is located on a large block of Oligocene, fine-grained Mahurangi Limestone, which is one of the most dominant units in the Northland Allochthon. Fossil foraminifera and nannofossils indicate a late Oligocene age (late Whaingaroan-Duntroonian) and a deep bathyal paleodepth in an oceanic setting. It accumulated as pelagic foram nanno ooze on the floor of the Pacific Ocean.

Mahurangi Limestone is typically moderately to well-cemented, sheared and tectonically-deformed, argillaceous micritic limestone, blue-grey when fresh, but rapidly weathering to a distinctive, light creamy-white colour. Exposure are often massive and thoroughly homogenised by bioturbation, although bedding or lamination can occasionally be discerned. Lenses and intercalations of thin, graded calcareous sandstone, glauconitic sandstone and rippled fine sandstone are locally conspicuous (Isaac et al., 1994).

Mahurangi Limestone is typically composed of planktic foraminifera (up to 50%) set in a nannofossil-rich micritic matrix, with minor radiolaria and sponge spicules, and fine silt-sized quartz, clays and other terrigenous matter. Macrofossils are extremely rare (e.g. deep-water bivalve Parvamussium), but trace fossils are reasonably abundant. The most common ichnotaxa are Zoophycos and Phycodes/Planolites. At Portland Quarry a wide variety of large and small Zoophycos can be found. Several large ‘Paramoudra’ concretions, developed around simple, non-branching burrows have been seen here.

Source: http://cdn.onlinehosting.co.nz/~gsnz/file_downloads/fieldtrip/MP112B_FT1.pdf

The find was not at Portland Quarry, however.

Edited by pleft

• 9 years later...

It looks close to Planolites/Phycodes ichnofossils.

" We are not separate and independent entities, but like links in a chain, and we could not by any means be what we are without those who went before us and showed us the way. "

Thomas Mann

My Library