Alton Il

dale carter

anyone have a map of the quarrys near alton,il to hunt fossils. thanks

There are two near town that I could find (arrowed):

post-6808-0-25554700-1342214006_thumb.jpg

Context is critical.

Are you trying to find the old quarries where they pulled out all the silurian trilobites?

there is also some exposures along the river road 100 going north out of alton. not sure what is in them.

USGS gis google earth says

Middle Valmeyeran (Salem, Warsaw, Borden, Springville; includes thin Mvl and Mk in south and east) Series (Mississippian)

My Flickr Page of My Collection: http://www.flickr.com/photos/79424101@N00/sets

A little farther north, near Grafton, they used to find a lot of trilobites. They build Raging Rivers Waterpark where the old quarry was, but you can find a few pieces along the Great River Road near the water park.

Are you trying to find the old quarries where they pulled out all the silurian trilobites?

yes, do you know to get there, thanks

There are two near town that I could find (arrowed):

post-6808-0-25554700-1342214006_thumb.jpg

thanks for the map

there is also some exposures along the river road 100 going north out of alton. not sure what is in them.

USGS gis google earth says

Middle Valmeyeran (Salem, Warsaw, Borden, Springville; includes thin Mvl and Mk in south and east) Series (Mississippian)

I would recommend going along that road everything from Mississippian to Silurian towards Grafton where the trilobites came from. The old quarry is by the Chamber of Commerce tourist building where you can park. The problem it is thoroughly overgrown with briars, poison oak and ivy and trees and brush. Best place to now find the trilobites is in on NW end of Grafton along the marina right next to the little light house they put in. Lots of the rip rap there from the quarries. I have found more trilobites there lately as the quarry is simply hard to work any longer and I am allergic to the PI and Oak. All along that route of 100 there are the paleozoic exposures and places to stop and park and look in some. The quarries you mark are active and you are not likely to be allowed into them. I got into them because I was working for the Illinois Geological Survey for 34 years.

I also recommend looking at a couple guidebooks from old ISGS field trips in area (something I used to help with). Attached is the map of former trips:

The Pere Marquette State Park from 1991 and 2007 may have stuff overlapping with Grafton as I recall. Also check out the Hardin 1994 trip there are lots of cool exposures along the Illinois River Valley from Pere Marquette and also on other side of ridge from Illinois Valley on the Mississippi. That knife of land between the two rivers ranges from Penn to Silurian/Ordovician, and then Mississppian from about Hardin north, lots of Burlington Keokuk there. All my old haunts as I did field work and collecting at the ISGS!

russ

Thank you russ. A southern Illinois trip has been in the works for me. Do any of those guide books go to localities other than quarries? I have been also interested in fluorite but I feel my chances are low.

You are welcome, they do alot of roadcuts and other sites but sometimes include quarries as well. The ones in SE IL cover some flourite areas also, some on forest service land and others that a private land and need permission. I wish I had more time to redo and revist more of the southern Illinois sites myself. I am pretty much now zeroing in on trilobites strictly and have traded off most of my rarer crinoids for some awesome trilobites. So now my focus in Southern Illinois would be trilobite locations especially...

Archived