Fossil_Hunter

Photographing Insect Fossils

Fossil_Hunter

I recently collected insect fossils for the first time and I was wondering what the best way to take pictures of them would be. They are mostly between 1/4 and 1/2 inches across.

Fossildude19

Hello Fossil_Hunter,

You can get some really good results with sunlight and a decent point and shoot camera, provided you use the Macro feature (flower shaped icon).

There are those here who also have good results taking pictures of smaller items by holding a loupe or magnifying glass in front of the camera lens.

These are a few inexpensive ways to take good pics of small fossils.

These were taken with a $90.00 Canon Powershot A410 with "Supermacro" mode.

post-2806-0-18723700-1342353329_thumb.jp post-2806-0-54420000-1342353469_thumb.jp

post-2806-0-66096900-1342353452_thumb.jp post-2806-0-85248000-1342353494_thumb.jp

Hope this helps.

Regards,

Xiphactinus

I've had great luck scanning Florissant insects on a flatbed scanner. Just lay them on the glass and cover with a towel instead of the lid.

Fossil_Hunter

I've had great luck scanning Florissant insects on a flatbed scanner. Just lay them on the glass and cover with a towel instead of the lid.

Can you post some pictures of your results?

palaeopix

Here are two March Flies (Family Bibionidae) from the Allenby Formation that fall into your size range. In fact they are closer to the lower end (1/4in).

post-2629-0-00208700-1342828700_thumb.jpgpost-2629-0-50150300-1342828707_thumb.jpg

I used a tripod mounted DSLR (Canon EOS digital rebel XSi) with a macro lens (Canon 100mm) for these shots but as Tim pointed out good results can be achieved with a point and shoot set to macro mode! You can even get special macro diopters or experiment with lens setups like pleecan uses. If you want more details Peter (pleecan) is always willing to discuss his setup! If you have any other questions I'd be happy to help out too!

Anyway there are many solutions from the ultra simple to the outlandishly expensive when it comes to imaging tiny subjects like insect fossils! You just have to find a system that is right for you!

Dan

Edited by palaeopix

Sylvestersen

Here are some photos of inscets from the early Eocen Fur Formation (Denmark)

https://picasaweb.google.com/118324675458220757649/UdlantTilJohanLingren?authuser=0&authkey=Gv1sRgCImVpdeqjuqM3wE&feat=directlink

I used a Canon EOS 7D with a Canon EFs 60mm macro lins. To provide a higher contrast between the stone and the fossil I put a drop of alcohol on the fossil.

AgrilusHunter

Spectacular preservation! You can even see individual tarsal claws on the beetle specimen! Thanks posting.