New Fossils For Cash Reality Show?

Xiphactinus

I was goofing around on YouTube and found this. It's a trailer promo for a new show about a guy running around hunting fossils in Kansas to take to Tucson and sell for big numbers. If this really goes on the air, it will pretty much shut down fossil hunting in Kansas. :-(

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lJuCxQS6RLE

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JkW2rgf_kUc

This is a lot like the other show which the fellas dug up VA looking for megs and claiming they got thousands for a meg. I think most people will see through this, but show like this still give the honest fossil hunter a bad name. In the same way, I bet dnr doesn't like the gator hunters. The shows don't tell the entire story, and of what it does tell, it tells inaccurately. Same with other shows like house hunters, or that other show where the folks get big houses built for them. It is all about the entertainment factor.

Edited by DeloiVarden

That is horrible! I couldn't watch more than 5seconds of that video that guy is an @$@%#!!!

Edited by NiobraraFossilHunter

I. Hate. "Reality" TV.

If you get me started, I'll have to ban myself.

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

It's hard enought to find places to fossil hunt out that way. I hope this doesn't go on TV.

Ramo

For one species to mourn the death of another is a new thing under the sun.
-Aldo Leopold

:angry: :angry: :angry: :angry: post-2806-0-36329400-1342363236.gif Edited by Fossildude19

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

Fossils for cash...?!? That won't have a good impact, I don't like reality TV either. I hope it is not shown.

I need a 3 pound Meg to wear around my neck while fossil hunting...cuz I'm all about practical accessories...not only was this a stupid way to portray collecting (ignoring science, detachment from their finds rather than cherishing them on a personal level), I cringed when I saw how they handled their finds in the field, and how they prepped them - what the heck were they spraying on them aI cnyway? Beyond that I found these guys disturbing to watch on a personal level. The main guy really creeps me out. I could never spend time in the field with this person, much less let him into my house through my TV....

Grüße,

Daniel A. Wöhr aus Südtexas

"To the motivated go the spoils."

THobern, Thanks for the reassurance that this thing died a natural death. Of course I do think of monetary "value" when I view my modest collection, but that's mainly because I have purchased a lot of it (before prep). What's it going to get me? Nothing, beyond immense wonder and satisfaction in seeing and learning. When I croak it will be offered to our State Museum. If they don't want any or all, then my daughter can dispose of it.

Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, also are remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so. - Douglas Adams, Last Chance to See

Typical reality TV all about the money! All about the flash factor!

What about the natural wonder and the camaraderie of the real fossil world.

They basically ignore their surroundings and treat each other like $#!%

Not for me

Cephalopods rule!!

It just shows how tightly scripted these things are, as it followed such a contrived narrative. The odd-couple/budy-flick angle was ridiculous.

Video Vomit

Agreed.

It saddens me to imagine that it's just a matter of time before they cast someone less obnoxious and add a 'dash' more science. The product will still be contrived. I've always found the "commodity" mentality of the greedy few, regarding fossils and artifacts, to be offensive.

The human mind has the ability to believe anything is true.  -  JJ

This is so horrible I have to believe that it was concocted by those who think only academics should be allowed to collect fossils.

I doubt they'd want to have anything to do with it (can you imagine that getting out?!).

Seriously, the entertainment industry is fully capable of producing stuff like this without outside help. Outrageous behavior sells, and the ensuing outrage is readily embraced by the viewing public. I offer the comments on this topic as evidence of how powerful this sort of fomented controversy can be. Viral trumps quality content.

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

Well, I will agree with the crowd on this one. The guy with the meg tooth around his kneck..............really?

If I had hair this would make me want to pull it out, it would save on razor heads anyway.

Really this show just takes the cake, I want to say more but most words have escaped my mouth. I.....I.....just.....grrrrrr

Robert
Southeast, MO

A bit of detective work suggests that this wasn't commissioned. His Twitter feed stops around 8 months ago; http://twitter.com/fossils4cash.

Coincidence that he is wearing a prison striped shirts??? :o

This is so horrible I have to believe that it was concocted by those who think only academics should be allowed to collect fossils.

How to respond??? I'll leave it at-- wow!

Edited by thanatocoenosis

2012 NCAA Collegiate Round Ball Champs; and in '98, '96, '78, 58, '51, '49, and '48, too.