New Fossils For Cash Reality Show?

Xiphactinus

"I need a 3 pound Meg to wear around my neck while fossil hunting...cuz I'm all about practical accessories..."

Well in the spirit of 'oneupsmanship' I'm a gunna bling it up with a 4ft mammoth tusk round my neck, maybe i'll even gold plate part of it just to show how gangsta fossicking can be!!!

Stand by for pictures.

This is so horrible I have to believe that it was concocted by those who think only academics should be allowed to collect fossils.

I wasn't totally serious with my comment. It just seemed impossible that there could be 2 such idiots in the world and there had to be an ulterior motive to the whole thing. It was so awful and ridiculous (and considering the current tarbosaurus debacle) it seemed contrived to portray the commercial fossil world as a cartoonish nightmare. I am still not convinced it isn't. I certainly did not think any reputable academic would be responsible for it, but every interest has it's lunatic fringe.

I wasn't totally serious with my comment. It just seemed impossible that there could be 2 such idiots in the world and there had to be an ulterior motive to the whole thing. It was so awful and ridiculous (and considering the current tarbosaurus debacle) it seemed contrived to portray the commercial fossil world as a cartoonish nightmare. I am still not convinced it isn't. I certainly did not think any reputable academic would be responsible for it, but every interest has it's lunatic fringe.

Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity.

Typical reality TV all about the money! All about the flash factor!

What about the natural wonder and the camaraderie of the real fossil world.

They basically ignore their surroundings and treat each other like $#!%

Not for me

I agree

Explore -> Dream -> Discover !

"I need a 3 pound Meg to wear around my neck while fossil hunting...cuz I'm all about practical accessories..."

Well in the spirit of 'oneupsmanship' I'm a gunna bling it up with a 4ft mammoth tusk round my neck, maybe i'll even gold plate part of it just to show how gangsta fossicking can be!!!

Stand by for pictures.

dont do it lol

Explore -> Dream -> Discover !

Wats wrong with this? :blink: I think it a grate idea! :D I would watch this everyday if posible. :P

To each his own, I guess...

It is the emphatic greed that runs afoul of the fossil collecting community represented on our Forum. I've italicized the parts of your promo sound-bite that best illustrate what I mean:

The Fossil Hunter is a show about a man with ambition and passion for fossils. In search of the rarest fossils around, his objective is to find and sell to make mad cash. He is an experienced fossil hunter and hunts in places people don't know exist. He is out to find the fossil that will make him rich

Have you had any luck pitching this to the networks?

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

Wats wrong with this? :blink: I think it a grate idea! :D I would watch this everyday if posible. :P

Not a great idea, they are digging these things up with no intention to restore their scientific value, did you see what they were spraying on them?!?!

If everyone saw this, they would all do the same, dig stuff up, and remove fragments from larger pieces with no intention other than to get rich quick. Like a gold rush, the whole place would be over collected, and material retrieved would be prepared with little experience and could well be destroyed. Nothing would be left for future generations.

Not to mention it's insulting on so many levels.

Context is critical.

that spraying scene made it look like the fossils were being mass produced for high volume wholesaling to the public. these guys cheapen a rewarding pursuit for the rest of us. if i were a landowner, that guy would never set foot on my property...

Grüße,

Daniel A. Wöhr aus Südtexas

"To the motivated go the spoils."

I like the entertanement side of the show. :D I am only a newb fossil hunter. ;) You act like it some kind of rocket science tho. :blink:

I like the entertanement side of the show. :D I am only a newb fossil hunter. ;) You act like it some kind of rocket science tho. :blink:

Um...are you not affiliated with the above reviled show?

(Remember, I have your email address and your IP address).

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

Now this is going to get interesting.... :popcorn:

Have to agree with you there. This topic is heating up, getting very interesting.

I'm just real curious how two people can have the exact same email address... ;)

If FossilxFace really is involved in this show. I'd be interested in hearing his thoughts.

1. Do you REALLY think you can get rich with fossils from Kansas?

2. Do the landowners know you are exploiting them.

3. If you have been hunting fossils for many years like your promo claims, don't you think the show makes all fossil hunters look like money-grubbing idiots?

4. Do you understand you are ruining the fossils you collect in the video...

I'm going to stop now.

I am not hiding. :ninja: I am only tryin to promote the show. :o yes i manage youtube but i do not know what happens for the pitch. :popcorn: I enjoy fossil hunting and think the idea is interestin and could interest other people. :drool:

I feel threatened! :wacko:

You won't find the fossil community (pro or amateur) are going to be fans.

So the show is not dead?

You won't find the fossil community (pro or amateur) are going to be fans.

So the show is not dead?

I have heard the show is dead riht now.

I am not hiding. :ninja: I am only tryin to promote the show. :o yes i manage youtube but i do not know what happens for the pitch. :popcorn: I enjoy fossil hunting and think the idea is interestin and could interest other people. :drool:

I feel threatened! :wacko:

You shouldn't feel threatened. Everyone is free to have their own opinions and ideas. Personally I think that guy's crazy enthusiasm is all he has going for himself. If it was all about teaching kids to hunt fossils or otherwise promoting the science of paleontology then it would be well directed enthusiasm. But it's not. The clips are all about getting rich. That's the theme. Not fossils. He throws out scientific names and ages only enough to make the stuff seem special. So the great fear amongst those of us who have spoken out here on the FF is that others will think this is a viable way to make money, or even get rich quick. That will only lead to more problems with sites getting shut down do to over-collecting, poaching and just bad behavior.

I am not opposed to commercial collecting, trading or selling of fossils. But it has to be done in a sound, legal and respectful way. Other than him very briefly mentioning that he has an agreement to collect on the land in the clip there is no discussion of what all those things mean. AND every commercial dealer, collector or preparetor I have ever met will tell you the sure as heck ain't getting rich fast and don't ever expect to either.

It may be entertaining to some but some folks find car wrecks entertaining as well...

All this is only MHO.

I am not hiding. :ninja: ...

Then what's with your claimed New Zealand location? Your IP resolves to Kansas.

We value honesty (and are intolerant of hidden agendas); full disclosure, please.

You shouldn't feel threatened.

Thanks Erose. Unfortunately networks are looking for what is trendin. What's trendin right now? -selling weird stuff.

Your IP resolves to Kansas.

Actualy Missouri sir. I did not mean to offend.

I will pass Erose words on. It was a nice discusion. Good day.

And so goes the reality show "entertainment" industry, where nothing is real at all, and it doesn't matter who gets hurt along the way.

He was here, under false pretense, to promote the show; how hard is it to just be honest? A genuine, constructive dialog could have been had. :(

And so goes the reality show "entertainment" industry, where nothing is real at all, and it doesn't matter who gets hurt along the way.

He was here, under false pretense, to promote the show; how hard is it to just be honest? A genuine, constructive dialog could have been had. :(

I doubt a dialog was to be had. He wanted to promote his agenda, that's it. Oh, and make a buck.

Archived