QUIZ -- This is NOT an "easy bone"!

Harry Pristis

Who can identify this fossil? It is from the latest Pliocene or Early Pleistocene. It was recovered from sediments also containing fish fossils and land mammal fossils. Here's the image:

post-42-1222813021_thumb.jpg

This is NOT a coprolite, nor is it a fossilized cigar butt. If you know what it is, you will know its origin.

http://pristis.wix.com/the-demijohn-page

What seest thou else

In the dark backward and abysm of time?

---Shakespeare, The Tempest

Guest bmorefossil

hmm if it wasnt bone i wouls say pine cone or something, but since its bone and has the layered look it is probley fish. Could be a part of a fish skull

Conifer cone, fir

Ditto; Fir cone.

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

is it a "sequoia cone"??

One of the great charms of paleontology is that one never knows what will turn up where, or who will find it."

Peter Dodson

possibly "sequoia dakotensis"??

One of the great charms of paleontology is that one never knows what will turn up where, or who will find it."

Peter Dodson

hmm if it wasnt bone i wouls say pine cone or something, but since its bone and has the layered look it is probley fish. Could be a part of a fish skull

Another golden kudo to bmorefossil! Tentative though his ID was, bmorefossil was the first to guess pine cone.

post-42-1222833762_thumb.jpg

This is, as best as I can tell, the core or cob of a pine cone with the pine nuts removed. The cobs which have been harvested by squirrels generally have little to nothing left of the wing-like anchors of the individual pine nuts. This cone is more likely to have lost its nuts to some other process, leaving behind the rough cob you see.

It's possible that there were fir trees here in Florida in the Plio-Pleistocene, but there were no sequoias AFAIK. This cone is likely to be from a common pine still living in Florida such as the long-leaf pine. Perhaps some paleo-botanist here can expand on this.

Thanks for participating!

http://pristis.wix.com/the-demijohn-page

What seest thou else

In the dark backward and abysm of time?

---Shakespeare, The Tempest