Unknown Vert

Tarheel59

It was suggested that this vert is not fish... It was found in GMR Greenville, NC, Cretaceous through Pliocene periods... What do yall think it belonged to. It is fossilized and is 3/4 by 3/4. Check it out and let me know what yall think. It also appears that one end is concaved and the other a little convexed..Thanks for looking... Jeff

post-4990-0-33443600-1342724620_thumb.jpg

post-4990-0-35137900-1342724639_thumb.jpg

post-4990-0-12867600-1342724657_thumb.jpg

looks mammalian, but i ain't no bone expert. you might get a better answer if you can narrow it down in terms of the age of the formation it came from and the location

Steve Suntok

any chance it's modern Tarheel? We used to apply a flame to bone to see if it smelled like burned hair to see if it was modern.

I did mention the age and where.. :) I am sure some of the NJ to Fl people probably know..

I had thought fish but was told probably not so hence the post in ID's ... :)

To large for squirrel, rabbit sized mammal, at least my opinion...

Thanks for looking and reply..:) Jeff

any chance it's modern Tarheel? We used to apply a flame to bone to see if it smelled like burned hair to see if it was modern.

Don't have a good sniffer. Allergies and old age hehehe :) I would probably set it on fire before I could smell anything..

Thanks for reply Plax

How about a small deer vert? Try the flame test to see if it is fossilized. If it is the bone won't burn. Most of the bones I find there that are that complete have been modern.