Two Devonian Fossils - Possible Lingula And Small Clam

hitekmastr

First Fossil - The 3 "possible lingula" fossils are assumed to be internal molds (steinkerns) of a Devonian lingula - found at Tully NY - would like to confirm this. You can see a small part of the shell at the front of the fossil. UPDATE: I added an additional image with a scale. If this is NOT a lingula, do the grooves at the rear of the fossil which are interior structures, give any clues to anyone?

Second Fossil - The second set of "clam like" fossil was accidentally discovered in a small section of shale collected at Tully NY when I fragmented the shale to clarify a different fossil. Wondering what this might be - the "step layers" on the shell are interesting but not sure of the ID. Current consensus is that this is a Devonian clam.

post-8709-0-85438700-1342836975_thumb.jpg

post-8709-0-02338700-1342836982_thumb.jpg

post-8709-0-79999700-1342836991_thumb.jpg

post-8709-0-94212100-1342837087_thumb.jpg

post-8709-0-50260600-1342837089_thumb.jpg

post-8709-0-83773800-1342929063_thumb.jpg

Edited by hitekmastr

First fossil is not Lingula. way too big and fat. Looks more like the internal mold of a larger brachiopod. Second is a very nicely preserved clam. Have you looked at the book by Linsley?

http://www.museumoft...51&page=2&buy=2

Compare the drawings to the fossil ranges to find the best matches. Also note the scale of each. Some species just never get large, like Lingula.

I'd need more of an overhead or straight on view to confirm genus but erose is correct then neither are Lingula. I'd say the clam in the last two pics is possibly Nuculoidea or Nuculites.

Edited by Shamalama

-Dave

Geologists on the whole are inconsistent drivers. When a roadcut presents itself, they tend to lurch and weave. To them, the roadcut is a portal, a fragment of a regional story, a proscenium arch that leads their imaginations into the earth and through the surrounding terrain. - John McPhee

If I'm going to drive safely, I can't do geology. - John McPhee

Check out my Blog for more fossils I've found: http://viewsofthemahantango.blogspot.com/

First fossil is not Lingula. way too big and fat. Looks more like the internal mold of a larger brachiopod. Second is a very nicely preserved clam. Have you looked at the book by Linsley?

http://www.museumoft...51&page=2&buy=2

Compare the drawings to the fossil ranges to find the best matches. Also note the scale of each. Some species just never get large, like Lingula.

We're currently looking through Linsley and other publications to identify the brachios/pelecyds/bivalves we found at Tully - we actually bought a copy of the excellent Linsley book based on your previous suggestion - however, this particular sample didn't seem to match much and it looks like an internal so most of the shell pattern is missing. This is about the size of a lingula, about a centimeter wide. Thx.

Edited by hitekmastr

We're currently looking through Linsley and other publications to identify the brachios/pelecyds/bivalves we found at Tully - we actually bought a copy of the excellent Linsley book based on your previous suggestion - however, this particular sample didn't seem to match much and it looks like an internal so most of the shell pattern is missing. This is about the size of a lingula, about a centimeter wide. Thx.

It's much too inflated for Lingula and the shell of Lingula is also phosphatic. You'll know you found one when you see the different preservation. I seem to remember the NY specimens were usually black to dark blue & very shiny.

Edited by erose

The two clams, bottom left, might be a Nuculopsis, many of this genus were called Nucula

Edited by Archimedes