Ptychodus Latissimus Coniacian Dallas Co.

sander

Hi All,

I have been trying to catalogue my collection and I came along this tooth, according to the information on its card its Ptychodus latissimus, Coniacian in age, from somewhere in Dallas Co. (dont know the exact place). But when I was looking at photo's from this species, it looked different than this one. they are more flat while this one is very raised. altough not as highly as P. whipplei. can anyone say what sp. it is? I dont know a formation where it came from, and i think Coniacian is based on it being a P. latissimus instead of it actually having been found there. Its 1 cm in length.

Thanks in advance,

Sander

(and please check my other post, permian bones, texas because I really need help there too)

post-4536-0-86919700-1342877087_thumb.jpg

post-4536-0-72083700-1342877128_thumb.jpg

post-4536-0-95885500-1342877175_thumb.jpg

post-4536-0-55236300-1342877221_thumb.jpg

Sander,

I think your tooth is P. whipplei, a lateral-posterior tooth, agreeing that latissimus is more flat and the ridges are more prominent. I was considering P anonymus but would expect the ridges to be finer. Hopefully, some Texas/other Ptychodus collectors will drop in and either confirm or correct my identification. Both anonymus and whipplei overlap timewise in the Turonian so your tooth might lean more to that age though whipplei does occur in the Coniacian too.

Jess

Hi All,

I have been trying to catalogue my collection and I came along this tooth, according to the information on its card its Ptychodus latissimus, Coniacian in age, from somewhere in Dallas Co. (dont know the exact place). But when I was looking at photo's from this species, it looked different than this one. they are more flat while this one is very raised. altough not as highly as P. whipplei. can anyone say what sp. it is? I dont know a formation where it came from, and i think Coniacian is based on it being a P. latissimus instead of it actually having been found there. Its 1 cm in length.

Thanks in advance,

Sander

(and please check my other post, permian bones, texas because I really need help there too)