Why is no evidence of Dino existence in Donbass?

RomanK

A lack of fossils does not mean a lack of dinos; what was the depositional environment in the area during the Mesozoic? Terrestrial vertebrate fossils are really quite rare, since all the conditions for preservation must line up for even a small number to survive; then they must be exposed and found.

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

A lack of fossils does not mean a lack of dinos; what was the depositional environment in the area during the Mesozoic? Terrestrial vertebrate fossils are really quite rare, since all the conditions for preservation must line up for even a small number to survive; then they must be exposed and found.

Agree. Problem that region was in position when terrane many times changing by the sea. Second problem is that we havent here Mesozoic layer on the surfase. Only Proterozoic at least around Donetsk. And third - geologist here used to discover and consumpt smth for industry purposes, so there is a low rate of paleeontology interest.

I think that if you dont have mesozoic bedrock in the area, that would pretty much answer why you are not finding dinos? why can't it be that simple?

I think that if you dont have mesozoic bedrock in the area, that would pretty much answer why you are not finding dinos? why can't it be that simple?

Personal message

Миша, Вы. очевидно, обратили внимание на приложенную геологическую карту Донецкой области, там есть выходы и обнажения триаса, юры и мела на севере, выше Горловки. Больше того, множество шахт - угольных и солевых - могли бы что-то проявить. Я думаю, возможны два варианта: 1. плохо искали и 2. на серере области большую часть времени плескалось море. Есть планы выбраться в поле для уточнения.

Personal message

Миша, Вы. очевидно, обратили внимание на приложенную геологическую карту Донецкой области, там есть выходы и обнажения триаса, юры и мела на севере, выше Горловки. Больше того, множество шахт - угольных и солевых - могли бы что-то проявить. Я думаю, возможны два варианта: 1. плохо искали и 2. на серере области большую часть времени плескалось море. Есть планы выбраться в поле для уточнения.

Ok then I guess i didnt pay enough attention to it. I missed the mesozoic areas on the map. sorry.

There are special conditions for preservation of the bones though. For example, in the connecticut river valley in CT and MA, there is jurassic strata but virtually no bones have been found with a few exceptions.

Ok then I guess i didnt pay enough attention to it. I missed the mesozoic areas on the map. sorry.

There are special conditions for preservation of the bones though. For example, in the connecticut river valley in CT and MA, there is jurassic strata but virtually no bones have been found with a few exceptions.

Could you please specify such kind of condition?

Guest bmorefossil

yes, we have the same problem here in maryland, there have only been a few dino fossils found over hundreds of miles

• 11 years later...